tuned knock sensor dampeners very close to becoming available...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:36 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tuned knock sensor dampeners very close to becoming available...

for almost a year I've been working on a "tuned" knock sensor dampener that is 'sandwhiched' between the sensor pick-up and the sensor mounting point. I've experimented with dozens of metals and composite metals from cast iron to steel to aluminum to brass to combinations of each. I've experimented with diameters, lengths, densities and mounting bolts with insulating sleeves. I've now arrived at a very good combination for the 12V. One that is "smart" in noises it allows to cut back on ignition timing while remaining safe and allowing bad noises to pull back timing.

Knock sensors pick up tons of metallic noise (vibrations) from inside an engine. It's internal crystal is tuned to respond to many metallic noises that in turn will retard timing if it perceives a set of vibrations is coming from detonation/pre ignition. On new cars it works very well but as cars age and loosen up there's a lot of other noises that start to occur and will duplicate the frequencies that a knock sensor is designed to respond/react to. Many of these noises are harmless, extranneous noises that don't require timing cut-backs but the knock sensors are not very smart that way. To them if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then duck it is and timing is pulled.

With a well-designed dampener/insultaor pad sandwiched between sensor pick-up and mounting point many of these extranneaous noises/vibrations can be filtered out completely or dampened before being sensed by the sensor and thus timing is left unchanged and engine has more power. The key is to not prevent bad engine sounds from getting thru the inulating dampener and preventing the knock sensor from doing it's intended task.

After machining/testing literally hundreds of these I now have an exquisitely performing set that has been tested on several cars including two turbo'd race cars, my own car and a handful of other mild-to-moderately built street cars. All have been VAG'd and data logged for function and are performing flawlessly. I'm in the process now of grooving/o-ringing the engine side of the dampnener for o-rings so that no moisture can find its way between mating (vibration transmitting) surfaces at either end of dampener. I'm also working on an "expected" electrolysis issue that will occur if I don't incorporate a preventative measure.

Wont make even 1/10 of a HP but will allow almost every car to make more power than it does now by preventing timing being pulled due to lifter clatter and/or a ton of other non-threatening internal noises. But it WILL pull timing if the engine even hints at knocking/pinging.

And no turbo cars can have this. Its an N/A option only. I'm not gonna set myself up as the "culprit" every time some turbo engine lets go in this litigious society.

These should be available later this month.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tuned knock sensor dampeners very close to becoming available...

I have to say, that's one great idea!!
Put me in line for those!

My old 100S with 200k would really appreciate that!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default wow, that's pretty neat. wouldn't even have guessed you were "into" that sorta thing =)

but it suits me just fine. again, Thank you Mance

check yah later
Old 07-02-2004, 07:55 AM

Default When you say cars that start to age, what mileage are you talking about?

For me I think it's safe to say my car is aging but I'm just curious. What a cool device, by the way. Add another AA item to the list of stuff I want to get.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:57 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default there's no real age/mileage mark that can be attached with any certainty...

but I'd say any car over 40k or those that will be.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this is unbelievable, Mance... gall.. good work. What kinda pricing do you think?

Poor college student. At night, I dream of buying AA stuff.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Study hard than when you get out of college you won't be poor. Good luck. School sucks. ;-)
Old 07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice sig!

Who are you calling?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks, it's a random pic though. People are gonna be like, "WTF is he talking about?"