Would anyone be interested in bored out TB's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone be interested in bored out TB's?

I'm bringing my TB in soon to my friends machine shop to get it bored out. I was wondering if anyone with a 2.8L 12v would be interested in getting their TB bored out as well.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig and test one on my car first. If all goes well I'll ask if he's willing to produce a run if i get enough interest. I know there was a lot of interest in the past, not sure if its still there...
Old 01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you are about 10 years behind the curve

Many of us have them. There was a LOT of R&D that went into finding the correct angles ect ect to get the most flow out of out T.B.s

We were lucky to have someone who had the time, skills, and want to do this for others not just himself.

You may be able to get one still if you have a "core" T.B. to mail off. If you want one, ask on the QW 12v forum.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, Mance is the one who first started doing it. But he wants $350 to do it right?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BFives
Yeah, Mance is the one who first started doing it. But he wants $350 to do it right?

I do not know his current price, however I do know one thing.

Quality remains long after price is forgotten
Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm sure its worth it, but to be honest i'm getting bored around here with all this snow and seeing how i don't drive my car in the snow, it just makes matters worse. I need a project asap.

I have an extra TB laying around and I'm thinking of throwing it on the milling machine and seeing what comes out, lol. My only question is why use epoxy as opposed to a sleeve? Wouldn't a sleeve with a tapered bore work? Looks like a bore starting with 6 degrees blended into 3 degrees seems to be the standard. I mean, it may not be the "best" for flow specific to an audi 2.8L, but hell, it cant hurt and it def. won't be as restrictive as the old one!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not the route I would go, but good luck.

there has got to be something else to do on a B5 12v to keep you buzy.

How about your IM, give it a P&P, this is a HUGE job if done right. also, gasket match the intake ports on those heads...watch your fuel mileage AND power go way up.

those 2 jobs should keep ya busy. as you can see in the following pics you have UBER room for improvement here. As is from the factory, at least 20% if not more of your injector spray is hitting the head (where you will gasket match it) resulting in a drip just in time for the exahust valve to open, hence the black stuff inside your tail pipe unburnt fuel.

you may also want to send your injectors off to be cleaned and dialed in, I drove a B4 tha had the injectors done at this link ( http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx ) and it felt WICKED.

I can not seem to find a pic of the intake ports after they were gasket matched, but I am sure you get the idea...just imagine what your injector is pointing at right now with a stock intake port....ewwww

This should keep ya busy for now. IMHO, you should do your T.B. right.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

True, I have yet to do the IM p&p and gasket match. Really, all thats left on my list is that, the TB, and the exhuast manifolds. I already removed the sampling tube from the MAF, cleaned the sensor, and got a nice VS on there.

As far as the TB goes, though, am I missing somthing here or is a milling machine not the way to go? or should I go at it with hand files, a dremel, and sandpaper? lol

This isn't my first car, and its far from my first project car. I've made many custom parts, built cars from the ground up, and wouldn't mind taking a stab at it. This isn't nascar,I'm not flying to the moon, and my 12v certainly doesn't have enough HP to make it worthwhile to get to technical on this! I just want to have some fun.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it's your car, do whatever, however you want.

I have given you my advice as a 12v owner for a decade, you can choose to follow it of not.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for advice, I appreciate your imput.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and this is how they look when they are ported
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Would anyone be interested in bored out TB's?