x-post: tranny noise, have a look if you have time, thanks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes, understood, thx...here is something else that i didnt even think about...

i was talking to one of buddies last night, he is a VW tech, and the first thing he asked me about was my motor mounts. I said wtf do motor mounts have to do with the tranny making a noise. He said if i have a bad or soft mount the engine could be rocking forward during deceleration and pulling the tranny out of line. This makes a ton of sense to me, but do motor mounts go bad over night like that. I explained that i had the car up the night before on jacks and jack stands, he said maybe i damaged something jacking it. What do you think?

I am asuuming that there are atleast 3 or 4 mounts not including the snub mount, and they are probably very difficult to check and/or change. He also said that even if i put in the gl5 when it called for gl4 it shouldnt be making noises. Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor and tranny mounts

They do go bad. If you change the snub mount (torque rod, not really an engine mount) witout changing the other engine mounts, the other mounts will actually wear out faster. Too much slop in the drive train can cause transmission damage. Do you hear a "clunk" noise when you get going after stopping?

Definitely check the engine and tranny mounts. Engine mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid,and if you see fluid around the mounts, they are shot. If you have over 70k miles on the car, the mounts are probably not the best.

GL5 should certainly not cause noise all by itself, because it contains a superior additive pack compared to GL-4 fluid. Thing is, GL-5 is really not need in your tranny, but only in the rear differntial. Whether a modern GL-5 will do harm if GL-4 is specified, is questionable, as the sulfur additives which used to be a problem with yellow metal corrosion are not the same as they used to be 10 year ago.