2.0 TSFI Oil consumption help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2.0 TSFI Oil consumption help

Okay, I have the absolute worst luck of all time, maybe someone can offer some advice.. I purchased a 2010 A5 premium plus about 2 months ago from a used car dealership. 84k miles and got a decent price on it with a three month warranty through Freedom Warranty. was told it had just had a recent oil change when I bought it. about 200 miles and a week or two of owning it, I get low level oil alarm. thought nothing of it, added a liter of oil like it said to. I dont drive much as I live in Chicago and take public transportation mostly but will from time to time, so it took me a while to realize I had a problem. every 90-110 miles, depending on how im driving, I get the add oil alarm come on. I realized this was an issue after I spent 80$ on oil in 2 months, so I started researching to find out if anyone else has had the issue. low and behold, with no effort at all I found countless stories and videos and forum posts on the class action law suit. so I contact the local audi dealership to have it looked at. I express the issue and bring it in December 7th. I'm informed that while this is a common issue, not all engines were effected by the problem and I could be losing oil somewhere else, so I get talked into just getting an oil change done and they will inspect for leaks, fill it with proper oil and filter-100$. 150 miles later the low level alarm comes back on, and now im really scared. so i bring it back into audi and get absolutely no where. Im told I need to call Audi USA, so i do and get a woman on the phone who informs me the extended warranty expired two years ago and 5k miles ago. she marks down that im not satisfied but they cant help me. So I contact Freedom Warranty to see how they can help me and i get a woman on the phone who says that pistons/piston rings are covered on my warranty but it expires Jan 11 and I need to get a claim going now and the only way to do so is to bring it into a licensed shop. so today i take it back to audi dealership. Now ive read all about the consumption test, the PCV valve replacement/ECU flash then finally replacing the piston rings. I informed the audi dealership that i have not had my ECU flashed/PCV updated but my warranty will not cover that, I just want the piston rings replaced which they claim theyll cover. anyway, I spent about 3.5 hours at their shop this morning thinking for the second time I was going to get an oil consumption test done (step 1 started, quoted 300$ on phone before I came in) and have the issue diagnosed so I can get a claim going. about an hour after being there I get notified that I have to spend 210$ for them to diagnose the issue BEFORE they run the oil consumption test. makes no sense to me, and after ARGUING with this man in the store, we come to the conclusion there's no way around it. these are their protocols they must follow. hour later, results come back... basically they opened my hood, saw I had the original PCV valve and waned to charge me 1470$ to do the part one of the repair. I told him there's no way I can afford that and Freedom wont help me with it, I just want the piston rings done, but nothing. guy started yelling right back at me. so I decided to call Audi USA again, but get no help again. man basically just suggests taking it to another shop thats not an audi one and getting a claim going there. so i call around and speak to some really nice mechanics that give it to me straight "youll bring your car here, Ill have to charge you to open the engine block in order to get the claim going, theyll send an inspector out and one way or another, they will deny your claim, and youll be stuck with the bill. ive seen it many times" (3 different shops told me this). so i decline to pay the 1470, still get charge 210 for absolutely NOTHING. So then I contact the dealership I bought it from. the guy starts saying hes sorry and will help anyway he can, but explains if i bring it back to him, freedom warranty will only give him 1500$ if the claims approved, which will basically only cover parts and that hes willing to meet me half way on the repair costs and asks if i can do 2500$. I really dont have that kind of money, i spent almost all I had on the car to begin with. at this point i just want my money back for the car but no way could I ever sell it now without taking at least a 50% loss. I have maybe 2 weeks before this warranty expires. can someone please give me some advice? is there a way around this? I read one account of someone putting oil stop leak fluid in their engine but... that scares me. has anyone tried that? also I saw a video of replacing the PCV, which looks super simple, but obviously I cant flash the ECU on my own. (900$ for Audi to flash it)