2010 Audi A4 new engine, 0 compression on cylinder 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

You only have half of it in the modern doc set. Why they ever introduced that "servicing-" crap, I have no idea. So instead of one engine and transmission document with everything where it belongs, there's now the main doc and the servicing doc, with random bits scattered between the two.

I have the single doc version, from Sep '16. What I'm talking about is "Removing and installing bearing saddle", section 2.3, under Chain Drive, section 2, under Cylinder Head, group 15. T40243 is the special tool used to push back the tensioner without removing the lower timing cover.

Found a really bad copy of that doc (page numbers cut off, "printed" rather than saved so you can't text search), but the process seems to be there, on page 106 of the PDF, same section 2.3.
The following users liked this post:
maxa4trubo (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you download that repair manual from erwin?
Old 11-01-2023, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you have a case for warranty. You will have to contact Audi headquarters customer service and file a complaint against the dealer.

Your argument is best kept simple. - I bought an Audi part and it failed within the warranty period, I want a new one or I want it fixed at your expense (that is what a warranty is about).

They will argue that you are not entitled to the warranty because you violated the terms.
  • If a part or accessory, found to be defective, was installed by an authorized Audi dealer and the vehicle is brought during the warranty period to the workshop of an authorized Audi dealer, the dealer will, without charge, either repair or replace it with a new or factory-remanufactured part or accessory.
You will have to tell them as you have indicated that the install had nothing to do with this type of failure and make that statement strongly but calmly to Audi Headquarters.

You restate to the dealer, in writing (you need a record of everything) that you want your motor replaced or fixed under warranty and that you are upset that the dealer has not satisfied their warranty duty.

You will get it replaced, just be a man of few words, do not get into conversations the details about tearing the motor down etc with the dealer. You just tell them you expect them to honor the warranty and either replace it or fix it, and do it in a reasonable amount of time.

You will have to pay for the R&R of the motor but no more than that. They will insist on it. You will reluctantly give in and say ok but you want an additional 1yr/12K mile warranty on the motor.

Not enough money involved to use an attorney and you should not need one.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 11-01-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by maxa4trubo
did you download that repair manual from erwin?
Yeah, from erwin.audiusa.com. But I downloaded my manuals set probably 4-6 years ago. For example, my version of the CAEB engine document doesn't have the torque spec for the new 10.9 crank bolt they are shipping. Found out there was a new bolt and a new torque spec for it from a discussion in the audizine B8 A4 forum: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ns-8-8-vs-10-9

So newer can be better, but at the same time they do fool stuff like breaking it up into two docs, etc. It's almost like "just have every version ever made and read them all, and then you won't get blindsided. Thanks, Audi.
The following users liked this post:
maxa4trubo (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cylinder 3 valve check photos

Piston on bottom both exhausts valve open

Old 11-02-2023, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But is that BDC the transition from intake to compression or the transition from power to exhaust? I don't know when in the exhaust stroke the exhaust valves open, but I imagine not right at BDC? If you go to the next BDC for that piston (always only turn the engine in normal rotation direction), are the valves still open again? Does the piston face show any concerns? This is an interference engine.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know like I said this is manual transition so disabled the parking brake and shifted cart to 5th gear and push car back and forth until piston in cylinder moved to bottom and top again, so I think the engine should rotate in normal direction
Old 11-02-2023, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would have just put a ratchet with 24mm socket on the crank bolt and turned engine over that way. :-)
Old 11-02-2023, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default could this be whole in the piston

Last edited by maxa4trubo; 12-29-2023 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The gunk stuck to the cylinder dome just looks like gunk, but ... why is it there? But something seems up with that piston face. If you look at the other 3 cylinders, they look "normal"? Ie, counter examples to clearly confirm the cyl 3 images are "not normal". I don't know if those would be valve strikes or detonation.

You might post these over at the audizine B8 A4 forum. Lot more experienced people than I with these engine internal mechanicals stuff. Not sure they'd catch this thread here.

Spark plug looked good? Some have had spark plug ceramic break off and do a number on the cylinder.

Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A4 new engine, 0 compression on cylinder 3