2017 A3 can't pump gas in and miss fires while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A3 can't pump gas in and miss fires while driving

Hey AudiWorld need some advice. Car flat died at a red light the other day on my daughter. I get there after some good Samaritans have pushed her out of the road. The car started up fine for me grant it had been 30 minutes. It has been one heck of a hot summer with temps over 100 daily. I started driving the car home. On the way home it missed several times on and off. Each time the engine light flashed. It only had about 50 miles worth of fuel so i decided to stop and get gas. It would not take any gas no matter what i did. I was getting more on the ground than in the car. Like the pump had .3 gallons on it. I went on home with it had in it. Later that evening i went to look at car again. Pulled the gas cap off then all the sudden it started spitting gas out the neck. I put the cap on quickly back on. Waited a minute and tried again. then all the sudden you could here the tank vent. Decided to drive to gas station and try again, to no avail. It still wouldn't take fuel Don't know how long it has been gone but the flap in the fuel neck is gone. Could have been missing forever idk. I pulled the pump to look in tank and tried to look with a scope down the neck. Never found the flapper. With the pump out I could put gas in it with a gas can. Did find out my daughter would always go to the nearest dollar after the pump clicked. Put the pump back in and started it up drove around. When i got home from going around the block I turned the car off. GAs started coming from under the car. I pulled the rear tire and fender well to expose the carbon filter. Took it apart to find gas in it. All this time driving in neighborhood it would miss fire. No code for EVAP only the miss fires. I have a new carbon canister and valve coming but not sure if it got messed up because of a different issue. Thanks for reading and any help.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by DHenryTexas
Did find out my daughter would always go to the nearest dollar after the pump clicked.
There's your culprit. Tell your daughter not to do this ever. This sends fuel into the charcoal canister or carbon filter. It's meant to only trap vapor. Typical symptom is that you can't put gas in it anymore at some point and get the CEL.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would cause it to miss. Like it isn't getting fuel? Is it vapor locking the fuel system?
Old 09-13-2023, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by DHenryTexas
What would cause it to miss. Like it isn't getting fuel? Is it vapor locking the fuel system?
Yes if the EVAP canister is not working properly, basically it's saturated with fuel and not absorbing the vapor, then you can get misfires. The purge valve could also be damaged and not releasing the vapor it still traps into the engine. You have a problem in the closed circuit emissions control system, so that can lead to misfires and other issues. First thing is to replace the canister and then take it from there.