Audi A4 B8 Crank but won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B8 Crank but won’t start

My Audi A4 B8 cranks but doesn’t start. Sometimes it starts for a second after sitting a while but immediately shuts off when pressing the gas while parked.

I’m not getting any DTC code errors with a cheap OBD2 reader.

Fuel:
I verified fuel pump fuses were good. Low pressure fuel line is receiving gas to prime the engine. High pressure fuel pump is working and has fuel when cranking. I did a test by spraying starter fluid in the air intake and still no change in cranking.

Spark:
I replaced all spark plugs even though I already did a tune up 3months ago, replacing all spark plugs and ignition coil. I did notice a little bit of oil on cylinder 1 spark plugs, but the others were clean. I have not done a compression test yet.

Air:
I usually clean my MAF sensor with doing tune ups. There is no visible damage. Air filter in good shape. I unplugged the MAF sensor and there was no change in the cranking.

Sensors:
I replace the crankshaft and camshaft sensors.

After 5 years of keeping up with oil changes and tune ups, this is my first major problem with my Audi. Leading up this point, I have had a slight decrease in gas mileage and oil consumption (1 quart needed after every 2500 miles)I’m sitting at 109,000 miles.

Any Advice?? My next step is to do a compression test and inspect the timing chain. This issue happened suddenly without prior startup issues.