BG: CPMB eingine feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BG: CPMB eingine feedback?

Hello dear people,

I know there is a lot written on this topic, but it remains quite vague and ambiguous, and I can't get good feedback on the matter. I am about to purchase an A4 Allroad 2.0 CPMB engine and I find many conflicting reviews. Some people say that in the second generation of thees engines, the oil consumption problem has been minimized, others say that you just need to do a carbon cleaning, and still others say that the engine is just as problematic as the earlier FSI versions. Could you please share your personal experience? Is it absolutely necessary to throw out half the engine and do a major overhaul with piston and ring replacements, etc., to be sure I'm maintaining a normal car, or are things a bit more precisely made with these engines?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

You don't say the specific month/year of manufacture of the vehicle. CPMB was used across a four year window.

The engine can develop oil consumption. Either it already has and has already had the rings/pistons replaced, or it has not yet but eventually will and will need the rings/pistons replaced, or it might never develop the issue. The first should be able to be verified if it's been done. The other two are the gamble. If you don't have a plan you're willing to accept to manage the situation should it develop, you should probably steer clear of the engine. You're buying used; there's no way for you to know if the situation has already started and the current owner is just trying to dump out of it (the fourth possible scenario). Unless it's the first scenario where it's documented the service work has already been done. If you do take the gamble, always use the correct oil and use no longer than 5k mile change intervals (i.e. 8k km). If you do start to develop the issue, you could consider trying the piston soak approach first. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...tion-reduction

Carbon buildup on the valves is likely to be more tied to your drive cycle or incorrect oil. All my drives are "long", and carbon buildup has never been a concern. But if you do a lot of short drives and never sustain the engine at temp, your engine operating conditions are very different from mine, even if they are the same engine.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
You don't say the specific month/year of manufacture of the vehicle. CPMB was used across a four year window.

The engine can develop oil consumption. Either it already has and has already had the rings/pistons replaced, or it has not yet but eventually will and will need the rings/pistons replaced, or it might never develop the issue. The first should be able to be verified if it's been done. The other two are the gamble. If you don't have a plan you're willing to accept to manage the situation should it develop, you should probably steer clear of the engine. You're buying used; there's no way for you to know if the situation has already started and the current owner is just trying to dump out of it (the fourth possible scenario). Unless it's the first scenario where it's documented the service work has already been done. If you do take the gamble, always use the correct oil and use no longer than 5k mile change intervals (i.e. 8k km). If you do start to develop the issue, you could consider trying the piston soak approach first. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...tion-reduction

Carbon buildup on the valves is likely to be more tied to your drive cycle or incorrect oil. All my drives are "long", and carbon buildup has never been a concern. But if you do a lot of short drives and never sustain the engine at temp, your engine operating conditions are very different from mine, even if they are the same engine.
Hello,

I didn't know that the year mattered despite the engine code. In reality, the car is a 2016 Audi A4 Allroad. Are there differences in the pistons, segments, and rings for different years for this engine code?
Old 06-05-2024, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, had you said MY13 or MY14, I'd say definitely don't consider it clear of issue. MY15, issue has been reported as well. I think MY16 even also. Audi was making changes, but I believe most of the final waffle ring stuff arrived after end of production. I had my original rings/pistons replaced with ones from the Gen1 engine in the A3 (CCTA) by the dealership; been fine for 180k miles since. So even though it's an MY16, I'd say stick to plan. Determine it's already been fixed, is currently an unfixed problem, or is fine now but guarantees nothing of the future. Then unless it's already fixed, have a plan or pass.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
Well, had you said MY13 or MY14, I'd say definitely don't consider it clear of issue. MY15, issue has been reported as well. I think MY16 even also. Audi was making changes, but I believe most of the final waffle ring stuff arrived after end of production. I had my original rings/pistons replaced with ones from the Gen1 engine in the A3 (CCTA) by the dealership; been fine for 180k miles since. So even though it's an MY16, I'd say stick to plan. Determine it's already been fixed, is currently an unfixed problem, or is fine now but guarantees nothing of the future. Then unless it's already fixed, have a plan or pass.
So, If I understand correctly, it may be with some changes, but not for sure. MY16 could be better, but nobody knows for sure?
Old 06-06-2024, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pretty much.