Seeking advice for used A5 2.0T engine oil problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice for used A5 2.0T engine oil problem.

I bought a Audi A5 2.0T from 2010 with 90K miles that looked very clean only to discover very quickly that the engine is consuming a lot of oil.

- Basically the oil level light comes up every 200 miles after refill.
- Rear of the car gets covered in thin black powder.

So this doesn't look good I know, so here are a few questions.

- How long is that car gonna last? Is it near end of life?
- Is this repairable? How much will that cost? is it even worth it?
- Is there a temporary fix that could extends the life of that engine?
- Is that engine nearly dead?

Thx a lot for any help you can give.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

What oil and what weight are you using?
When you run the car hard are you leaving a smoke screen behind you?
I think there were some class action suits on the oil consumption of this engine, this is a known issue for that motor.
- Likely to fix the oil consumption issue it will take at least a minor rebuild which would be rings, valve seals, maybe valve guides and engine seals.
- On top of that you should also look for any obvious oil leaks around the engine where seals and gaskets have gone bad.

In the short term try switching to Shell Rotella T6 15-40w. It may help a bit with your oil consumption but it likely will only get worse over time based on the usual problems with that motor.

You can also take the car in for a compression test and importantly a leak down test which will let you know how rings and seals are doing and which cylinders have issues.

Also this motor is a TSI not an TFSI motor just for reference. (TSI uses metal timing chain, TFSI which is older design uses belt)

Thin black powder on rear is not abnormal, these cars run rich. Also if your car came with an aftermarket downpipe it would increase the amount of the black powder.

Also, unrelated to your questions is a matter of concern with that motor. That motor you have is part of the series that had a big problem with the chain tensioner. The timing chain tensioner would fail and it would cause a major engine failure ( the kind of failure that requires a new motor or complete rebuild)
https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/9623...st-know-guide/
Check with Audi dealer to see if your car has had this tensioner problem addressed by previous owners. This is very important to have been done, especially with your mileage.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 09-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

On another post someone said that he had similar oil consumption problem to yours. Post says he added High Mileage Compression Repair and couldn't believe it but it worked. Considering the expense of rebuilding the engine, what the heck, give this a try. Said he had to drive it couple hundred miles after adding for it to work.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-30-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not replying sooner, I forgot my credentials. Anyway, thx for all he advice. With all the information I collected and your posts I think I have a good idea about what needs to be done. Obviously changing the rings would be best but with Audi dealers that would be costly I imagine, how much do you think the whole operation could cost with a local car repair guy? Also, which High Mileage Compression Repair is the best? I'd like to give it a try but I figure I better try with the best product. Follow up, if I use the High mileage repair can I still change the rings later or it's pretty much one or the other.

The engine doesn't leave any oil anywhere ever which is why I thought it was a oil burning problem. Also like I said it goes from full to mini oil level in about 200 miles which seems to imply (comparing with what others report) that this engine is really burning a ton of oil (maybe is on its last leg?).