Update on my 2.0T oil consumption lawsuit against Volkwagen Group of America, Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi with 110k miles has been burning oil at a pretty steady clip for quite a while now. Yesterday it began throwing a misfire code so I pulled the plugs. The #2 plug was covered in all sort of grit and all the plugs were absolutely saturated with oil. A compression test showed the #2 cylinder would not hold compression. Its either failed at the rings or failed at the valves but I wont know until I tow it somewhere that can scope it. Are there any updates on this lawsuit? CourtListener shows settlement documents filled 10 days ago?
Old 10-22-2023, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vyal
My Audi with 110k miles has been burning oil at a pretty steady clip for quite a while now. Yesterday it began throwing a misfire code so I pulled the plugs. The #2 plug was covered in all sort of grit and all the plugs were absolutely saturated with oil. A compression test showed the #2 cylinder would not hold compression. Its either failed at the rings or failed at the valves but I wont know until I tow it somewhere that can scope it. Are there any updates on this lawsuit? CourtListener shows settlement documents filled 10 days ago?
Ummmm, throw some heavy weight oil in #2 and see if the compression goes up. If not, it's the valves.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You should be able to get a full rebuild for 10K. Should be good for another 100K + if taken care of religiously. These motors are great but they require regular care and a close eye. My Golf R 2013 2.0t has 113K miles and burns very little oil but it gets only the best oil and is changed every 5K miles or sooner.

One of the most important things, since these cars are notorious for oil consumption, is to keep your oil topped up. I check mine daily if necessary. Running it when it is down on oil is not good for these cars. They perform quite well and foks drive them pretty hard because they are so much fun. Having good oil, having it topped up all the time is more important on thsse engines than many other engines I have had. I have has a couple of these VW/Audi 2.0t motors.

Things that keep excessive oil out of the cylinders are piston rings, valve seals, gaskets etc. The pistons are not the culprit per se but if you pull the motor and have it rebuilt you would replace them along with all the bearings, rods and new bolts in bottom. Get full rebuild on top of motor, valves, seals, etc with machine of heads
Old 10-29-2023, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stGOAT
Having good oil
What's considered the best or good oil?
Old 10-30-2023, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IdahoJOAT
What's considered the best or good oil?
There should be a sticker next to the hood latch in the engine compartment. It'll tell you something like 502.00 or 505.01, use oil to the spec.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had piston blow up on new engine just after 5500 miles, I bought long block engine 2.0 for 2010 Audi A4 B8, the engine was not installed at Audi dealership I picked up and installed at local shop.
I posted the link to my post. Now dealership and AofA requesting engine teardown $3850 to tell me if defect would be paid under warranty I didn't authorize engine teardown and towed car back home. Even diagnostics at dealership was wrong technician took compression and since cylinder 3 had 0 he guested it's bent valve, I looked inside the cylinder 3 with borescope and notice that piston crown is damaged, since I paid engine with my master card almost a year ago I'm trying to dispute the $7K, I'm not sure what else I can do.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-0...3062996/page7/

Old 02-08-2024, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update Please on your lawsuit. I have a 2012 A5 Convertible 61000 m using lots oil

Originally Posted by mattinclt
Audi Family,

I wanted to update you on my efforts to resolve my oil consumption issues on my 2.0T Audi A6 which began around 85K miles and now requires me to add a quart of oil to my engine every 400 miles.

As you may know, a lawsuit has been filed on July 2021 against Volkswagen alleging that 2012-2017 2.0T engines have a piston defect that requires premature replacement of the pistons due to excessive oil consumption. I do not have time to wait for this lawsuit to be resolved as I am being forced to either repair the engine or buy a new car as I am having to add a quart now every 400 miles and the issue is progressively worsening.

As part of a potential settlement, I expect VW to limit their liability as much as possible, which may exclude me from the class, or limit my ability to get reimbursed 100%. I also tried to work with VW directly in good faith to resolve this issue, however, they do not want to accept responsibility for the matter to limit their liability which will limit my willingness to buy another VW/Audi vehicle.

Hence, I filed a small claims lawsuit against Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. by looking up their registered agent in North Carolina's secretary of state, filing a small claims case, and having them served by certified mail to that address. I then used my local Audi dealer to diagnose that the pistons were at fault by having them conduct the oil consumption test, and substantiate the damages by providing me a written estimate ($6500) to have the pistons replaced.

The remaining component is that you must prove that having to prematurely replace the pistons was a design defect. Thus, I subpoenaed the Audi service advisor to court and will ask him questions under oath as to the number of cars coming into his dealership with oil consumption issues, and what he thinks is the root cause of the problem to substantiate that there is a high number of vehicles having these oil consumption issues compared to other engine models. I also have perfect records and have maintained my car at the recommended service intervals recommended by Audi. I also plan to provide a copy of the lawsuit that was filed in July 2021 to the Judge as it goes into extensive detail substantiating that this is a design defect, and VW knew about it and did not disclose it to their customers at the time of purchase.

We go to court on May 18th, 2023 in Mecklenburg County Courthouse which is in Charlotte, NC. I received a letter from VW's attorneys on 5/6 trying to thwart me from proceeding further. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of my lawsuit and hope this communication helps you if you are in a similar situation and are being led to believe that buying a $57K vehicle and having to replace your pistons for $6500 around 100k miles is "normal".

https://www.classaction.org/audi-oil...ption-lawsuits
Could you share the outcome of your small claims suit?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi Family,

I wanted to update you on my efforts to resolve my oil consumption issues on my 2.0T Audi A6 which began around 85K miles and now requires me to add a quart of oil to my engine every 400 miles.

As you may know, a lawsuit has been filed on July 2021 against Volkswagen alleging that 2012-2017 2.0T engines have a piston defect that requires premature replacement of the pistons due to excessive oil consumption. I do not have time to wait for this lawsuit to be resolved as I am being forced to either repair the engine or buy a new car as I am having to add a quart now every 400 miles and the issue is progressively worsening.

As part of a potential settlement, I expect VW to limit their liability as much as possible, which may exclude me from the class, or limit my ability to get reimbursed 100%. I also tried to work with VW directly in good faith to resolve this issue, however, they do not want to accept responsibility for the matter to limit their liability which will limit my willingness to buy another VW/Audi vehicle.

Hence, I filed a small claims lawsuit against Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. by looking up their registered agent in North Carolina's secretary of state, filing a small claims case, and having them served by certified mail to that address. I then used my local Audi dealer to diagnose that the pistons were at fault by having them conduct the oil consumption test, and substantiate the damages by providing me a written estimate ($6500) to have the pistons replaced.

The remaining component is that you must prove that having to prematurely replace the pistons was a design defect. Thus, I subpoenaed the Audi service advisor to court and will ask him questions under oath as to the number of cars coming into his dealership with oil consumption issues, and what he thinks is the root cause of the problem to substantiate that there is a high number of vehicles having these oil consumption issues compared to other engine models. I also have perfect records and have maintained my car at the recommended service intervals recommended by Audi. I also plan to provide a copy of the lawsuit that was filed in July 2021 to the Judge as it goes into extensive detail substantiating that this is a design defect, and VW knew about it and did not disclose it to their customers at the time of purchase.

We go to court on May 18th, 2023 in Mecklenburg County Courthouse which is in Charlotte, NC. I received a letter from VW's attorneys on 5/6 trying to thwart me from proceeding further. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of my lawsuit and hope this communication helps you if you are in a similar situation and are being led to believe that buying a $57K vehicle and having to replace your pistons for $6500 around 100k miles is "normal".

mattincit what ever came of your small claims case?
Old 02-22-2024, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can I have an update on this??

Audi Family,

2.21.24 - can you share an update from your court hearing in May 2023?? BeckieJNielsen at g mail
Old 02-22-2024, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

He probably settled with a no "speak" agreement.

Quick Reply: Update on my 2.0T oil consumption lawsuit against Volkwagen Group of America, Inc.