2.7 Cutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 Cutch

I'm hearing the LUC 02-041 LUC 02-045 and the SACH K70286 are all the same clutch made by LUC. The information also suggests all Self Adjusting Clutches for the 2.7 all have the same clamping force no matter whose name is on it. This clutch design doesn't lend it self to modification.
The information indicates the only was to increase the performance is to upgrade to Kevlar or ceramic. Kevlar is a big improvement over organic, ceramics are grabby, shutter and difficult to modulate, but don't slip.

Somebody tell me this is BS.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say talk to simpply or piggie.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Default :^) Just saw the Forum Activity Report, and I bow to the master...

I must say you certainly upped your game significantly for '07. I haven't been on the forums - any forums - for over a month due to personal stuff, but good to see the top PW at least knows his stuff! Hope you had a good Xmas and New Year's.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks!

I took it as a personal challenge to maul my previous record. Whether I did or not doesn't even matter - some of the people that post on this forum need some serious help.

What was it, like 5x your post count?

That's some serious post whoring on my part... :P
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Default 5x would be roughly it (510 to 95 exactly)! Serious help is what you delivered for sure.

That's one of the reasons why I like the engine forums over the platform forums (e.g. B5 S4) - the people here seem more sincere and more in need of help on the basics vs the nuances of bling and ricer-like mods.

I guess it boils down to the fact I feel good about helping someone who is sincere and wants to do what's best for the car or DIY instead of taking it to the dealer, and it seems there is a lot more of that here than there. Make sense?

BTW - entertain this diagnosis if you will: 2.8L 30V ATQ w/ absolutely no misfires whatsoever per VAG data logging from cold start to full operating temp in all types of driving. It has a rough idle, but no other symptoms: I cleaned the throttle plate/valve, made sure there are no vacuum leaks, cleaned the MAF and IAT sensors, all plugs look great, verified all electical connections are good for ignition components (this is a VW so still has central coil and no ICM's or coilpaks). It also received new heads under 10yr/100k warranty so compression is excellent and fuel mileage is the best it has ever been. At wit's end, then while changing the oil last week, I spot the dreaded purple fluid drips...I think it HAS to be the bad engine mount (only one side was leaking). Make sense to you?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so, are you worried about the rough idle or the broken motor mount? and how many miles are on the

dern thing?

so, if you're worried about the rough idle, make sure VW put the latest code on the ECU - been some talk about cold start issues, which may have led to a rough idle on yours. also, as you well know, these things don't idle nearly as well as some of the smoother cars out there. I've seen 760 to 800 and back and forth on mine, and you know how much time and stuff I dump into the engine. you could try some fuel system cleaner and changing out your fuel filter, but I figure you'd be wasting your time.

I'm assuming you can "feel" the rough idle? yeah, if you see purple fluid and can feel it, and your car has somewhere north of 60k miles, it probably is your motor mount(s). Probably good to replace them and maybe the trans mounts, if they aren't too hard to do. (Usually trans are easier than motor.)
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Default 104k miles, been in a minor front end wreck (new radiator, hood, fender, headlight). Supposedly has

the latest ECU update, but I will check to make sure. Wifey's car, she is nervous about it but it is really no big deal - you can feel it but never caused any issues other than it will rattle her drink sometimes in the cup holder (we don't eat or drink in the S4, mind you). It is definitely rougher than the S4 and the idle did fluctuate somewhat, but cleaning the throttle plate and IAT eliminated that variable; VERY steady idle now. And the idle is fine when cold, it gets worse at full operating temp.

I think it is the unbalanced motor mount dampening that is causing the vibration you can feel. Anything north of 1k rpm and it seems perfectly smooth. I just don't want the vibration to contribute to consequential issues like xtra wear and tear on the tranny mounts or other parts. It isn't terrible and it varies in intensity. Just never had motor mounts go bad on any other vehicle before so no personal experience with this. Think this is a likely source of the vibration?

I was just going to take it to the dealer that put the new heads on the engine - figured they earned some business by giving me a virtual engine rebuild due to the oil leaks when they R&R'ed the heads. Damn thing is the best vehicle I've ever owner in terms of reliability and integrity at 100k miles (after all the front suspension parts were replaced, of course). She still loves the car after almost 8 years now, and that is unprecedented, so I need to keep her happy! [The happier she is, the happier I am - figure you know all about that...).
Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default going to have to agree with your diagnosis, especially after seeing the front end

damage part. replace motor mounts. i've heard of them going out sooner on the S4s...
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Thanks - just wanting confirmation that there wasn't something else obvious that I was missing.

The one thing I don't want to happen is having some tech spend two hours diagnosing an issue that I feel I am equal to or better than him at performing - esp now that I have a VAG-COM and have logged the engine and performed several other operations on the car/engine that are good to do even if they didn't solve the vibration issue. Nothing like having clean sensors!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ironically, sounds like exactly how I've gone through my engine as well,

as I've cleaned all of my sensors and have done new plugs and even took the ignition amps off and cleaned and electrically lubed them and cleaned the throttle body and new air filter every oil change.

mine idles fine - the only difference between mine and yours, in my mind, is that my motor mounts are fine.

Quick Reply: 2.7 Cutch