Intake, MAF, tubes hose for stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJ
I will most likely be getting the CX racing Ebay intercooler and having a shop modify the inlets/outlets and having some aluminum piping custom bent to retain my stock fogs and mesh as well as having the core painted black to keep things hidden. They have been shown to give similar IATs as ER, AWE, etc. The full kit can be had for less than $400 on Ebay if you aren't concerned with losing your fogs and mesh.

-SRC and CXracing SMIC options have been shown to actually perform worse than the stock SMICs. Not an option .
-Wagner SMICs can be had for like $800 and perform similarly to ER and AWE options. It's all a matter of preference (cosmetics).
You eyeball the CXracing FMIC (since you say the SMIC are worse than stock), right? I read that even VAST is using their SMIC/FMIC? I once saw a post comparing the various options with respect to air exchanger volume (cubic inches).

I have an C5 Allroad, so maybe this time I am BETTER off (regarding space) than you B5 S4 guys?

JHM (I think based on CXracing) has a kit for $525 for the C5 A6.
Looks good to me. Good enough (capacity wise?)?

http://jhmotorsports.com/products/pi..._Installed.jpg

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...50a5f5d221c4e5

On my 1.8T, I went with a 2.75 thick FMIC. Big mistake. Should have stayed with 2.5 (would have saved me a lot of bumper grinding).
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
MDJ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen an Allroad with the CX core installed. I have seen a CX core in person, yes. The build quality is actually pretty good, I just have to have a shop turn back the inlets to clear the stock fogs. I would imagine the Allroad bumper has a bit more room to work with, but I'm sure you'll have to trim a bit of the bumper in places.

I have not heard or seen that VAST uses CX cores for either FMIC or SMIC applications. They only offer the AWE SMICs if I'm not mistaken.

The JHM FMIC is the CXracing FMIC. Same exact thing. In fact I believe you can get exactly what JHM sells for $525 from CX for like $452. JHM just rattle cans some logo on it. Bologna sandwich.

If money were not an issue, I might just buy the ER SMICs. However, those require you to trim as well. So, for a little more planning, less money and more satisfaction in the long run, I choose the FMIC from CX. For a normal stgIII setup, you will have PLENTY low IATs