KO4s w/o the full fueling upgrade, stage 3- (?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KO4s w/o the full fueling upgrade, stage 3- (?)

Can anybody tell me what a homebrew combo would look like with KO4s but not the full fueling upgrade?

I'd like to know if it makes sense to save on the fueling for now (cost) and upgrade the suspension exhaust, and brakes first.

I'm looking for a little more perforance, but maximum drivability and reliability for an every-day car. Already have the GIAC X-chip in an A-box, but no exhaust.

What do I need to make it work? 5 bar fpr? I am wondering if I can save the fueling for later, when I get bored again.

m.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Default i belive you can save the fueling for later....

but with the 2.7t stock fueling system you'll only be getting 400hp thats where the fueling will limit you at..i say wait for the extra money and get it all done at once so you dont pay ALOT extra in installation...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You think there's much labor over-lap with injectors and turbos?

I'm pretty sure you could replace most of the fueling system without pulling the engine, so I don't think you would save much doing it all at once.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone please clearify this for me too...more, TIA.

I have been researching this topic for sometime now, and the answer keeps on changing. First of all, can someone please excuse my ignorance and explain to me what a FPR is.

I too am looking into just upgrading the turbos for reliability purpose and not necessarily power increase. I was under the impression and was told that a direct swap of K03s to K04s is fine as they can run on stock or stage 1 softwares with cat-backs and nothing else (No dps or fueling systems etc.) And now, the most recent information I got is that I will be needing some software upgrade as if I were to just run the K04s with stock or Stage 1 ECU, I will be overboosting. Can one of you turbo gurus please explain and tell me what I can and can not do with my S4. TIA.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FPR is a fuel pressure regulator......

you'll be fine running K04's on stock or K03 software. The only thing i would add would be a manual boost controller in parallel with the N75 valve to cap off any potential boost spikes due to going with the larger turbos.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. Now more questions, TIA.

Would it be easier and less costly to simply upgrade the ECU instead of getting and installing the boost controller and the N75 valve? I have AMS stage 1 chip now, and according to AMS, if I elect to go with their Stage VI setup(K04s with cat-back exhaust only), I will need to upgrade the ECU to stage IV which will be around $200 or so.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, there are a couple tuners who offer software

designed for larger turbos but stock fueling. I would recommend that route if you already have the AMS and can upgarde to the stage 4 setup for only $200.

Also, if you go with the stage 4 software it will most likely run smoother/stronger than if you were to go the mbc route.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great, thank you for the info. You mention a couple of tuners, can you tell us who they are?

AMS is the only one that I have found so far. TIA.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default GIAC, maybe MTM as well......

but I would give Marc at AMS a call about the stage 4 stuff.....i think that's a great option if you already have the stage 1 software.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just spoke to AMS, and I was sadly mistaken about the cost of updating the stage 1 software.

It is not $200, more like $900. I think I will be staying with K03s if the time comes. While it is true that the K03s and K04s may cost about the same, but the additional hardwares and/or softwares that are needed to run K04s just doesn't seem to be worth it. Thank you very much for answering all of my questions.

Quick Reply: KO4s w/o the full fueling upgrade, stage 3- (?)