Secondary Air Injection System/ A6 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injection System/ A6 2.7T

I'm knocking myself in the head on this one. On startup the secondary air pump is not staying on long enough thus it fires the error "secondary air insufficient flow" for both banks. First on my list to check was the air pump, removed it cleaned it, and checked it hooked directly to a 12v battery and no signs of malfunction. Checked hoses from pump to the valves and no leaks. Let the car sit overnight and restarted the next morning and again it fired the same code, Insufficient flow. I then checked and installed new silicon vac lines (a higher quality silicon that does not collapse when vac is present) between the main vac source and the solinoid valve, and also between the solinoid valve and the T that runs to the two exhaust valves. At the same time I installed a new solinoid valve then tested the new lines attached to the exhaust valves and there is no vac leaks. Both exhaust valves opened and passed air through them although I had to apply a certian amount of air preasure before the air would pass through the valves. When I removed the vac from the valves absolutely no air would pass. So I am assuming the exhaust valves are ok. Let car sit overnight and again the same code. I then replaced the relay and confirmed the wiring from the relay to the pump was ok and intact. Let the car sit overnight and again the same code. I also spoke to one of the more experienced technitions at my local dealer and he confirmed that everything I checked was what the dealer would do to cover the mechanical portions of this system.
My first question is, when the exhaust valves are open, is it correct that x amount of air pressure is needed to pass through the valves?
My second question, where in the software can I go to see what the ecu is doing with this system? Not pulling fault codes and resetting them. But what address, sensor numbers, etc should I be looking for. It seems to me that the amount of time the system stays on is set by a code within the software. What measuring blocks, etc.?
I'm stumped.

John