Is there any way to override the security lockout on an APR v 5.0 ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any way to override the security lockout on an APR v 5.0 ECU?

I bought my 2000 A6, 2.7t from a guy who as far as I can tell was happy to spend money on the upgrade, but didn't really know what he was getting aside from a kick in the 'butt-dyno'.
After doing my timing belt about a year ago, I noticed a drop in power and always wondered if I'd hosed the timing or something (yeah, I used the cam / crank tools).
Now a few days ago I was reading about the APR software and discovered what may be the answer to my mystery; the resetting of the software to stock when the battery is disconnected. Only problem is the guy never gave me a lockout code, and when I contacted him he didn't really know what I was talking about.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,

Marty
Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Call APR
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Or go to an APR tuner

Check with a local authorized APR tuner in your area. What they may do is charge a take over fee to keep record of your tune. Very common as they keep your information on file. Then they can unlock it at change the code if you wish.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have you tried changing the program without the code?

The code is optional on install, maybe the guy opted to not get it? I have secondhand APR software and can freely change programs without entering a code.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Called, they told me I need to do a warranty flash

$150. Dang :-|
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here is your answer and solution, I believe.

disconecting the batter will not reset the ecu to the stock like program. And that is the reason, its not stock... its APR's version of stock.

But accessing the Cruise Button to do the program change you choose from the resident programs in the chip/flash (which one) 5.0 is a flassh IIRC.

The program loads its file into the ecu: Stock performance, etc.

Disconecting the battery does nothing. (I've had both chip and flash..still do)

Here are APR's instructions from their site.

Step 1: Press and hold the "set" button on your cruise control. After approximately five seconds, the "check engine" light on your dash will begin to blink once per second. This will tell you that you are activating program one. This blinking sequence will continue for approximately five seconds.

After this five second interval, the "check engine" light will begin blinking twice per second. This will indicate that you have activated the second program. This process is continued to access any remaining programs you may have purchased. (three blinks = program three, four blinks = program four).

Step 2: Once you have activated the desired program, simply release the "set" button. The "check engine" light will go off, and you will be locked in that program until you change it.

It's that simple.

APR's EMCS is a truly modular system that allows for future enhancements and features to be added as they are developed without the need for additional hardware. EMCS makes the following advanced features possible:

EMCS Circuit Board and
Programmer End

EMCS Home Programmer

EMCS System

FlipSwitch
Enables you to swap between two or more engine programs on-the-fly using the cruise control stalk. All cars have stock and standard chipped program versions available. Valet, race-gas, and other specialty programs are available for some models.

Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment (FCE/TBA)
Fault Code Erase allows you to erase and reset engine related trouble codes without having to use a specialty tool. Throttle Body Alignment allows you to manually perform throttle-body adaptation.

Security Lockout
Prevents unauthorized personnel from accessing EMCS functions. The user may select any 1 to 4 digit security code. The security code is entered using the cruise control buttons.

***Being your prev owner knows nothing about this lockout feature its doubtfull he locked it and even more doubtfull he purchased it as its an option to the base chip.***
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In my experience, disconnecting battery with both chip and flash locks the ECU

in its first programmed mode. The security code must be used to unlock the functions-- be it "chipped", or DTC erase, throttle body adaptation, etc.

If it is chipped and he can find someone with an APR programmer-thingee the license can be loaded from the chip and security code reset. If it is a flash, I believe he needs an APR tuner and will have to pay.

That being said, I love the convenience of the flash but prefer the chip so that I can do it all myself.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 AM

Default so if APR chip has security code, then you can't change programs by cruise control without entering

code?