throttle stuck wide open

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle stuck wide open

O.K I'm a woman!! However, I need to find out if anyone has had problems with the cruise control possibly causing the 02'A-6 throttle to stick wide open. Yes I checked the floor mat and wiggled the cruise lever ect. My engine was full redlined and I couln't stop. The twin turbos won against the brakes. But I did shift it into neutral several times to slow down from 115MPH but because I was afraid it would blow up I put it in drive anf kept fighting it until I could pull off the HWY safely. I put it in park and turned it off. This lasted nine miles and my car was boiling anti-freeze out and smoking. As were the brakes. The rotors where orange and now they are blue. Needless to say it's been @ the dealership for 2 weeks. Today Audi Corp's engineer gave a report that nothing is wrong with it. Only needs brakes???? I am furious and scared to drive it until I know what caused this. Pleas help w/ any suggestions.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, 1st off sorry to hear this. Application of brakes should instantly kill the throttle, as the

throttle and cruise are both electronic (drive-by-wire). I don't blame you for not wanting to drive it. Did you file a comlaint with the NHTSA? You can do it via the web, but if I were you I would try calling. Also, let the dealer know that if they give the car back to you and this happens again and you get in an accident, your lawyer will own their sorry a$$es. Make sure the service manager and GM of the dealer know it is a SAFETY ISSUE - make them put this down in writing on the service order or something to prove it later on (if need be). Call Audi Customer Assistance and get it on record that it is a safety issue.

Your best chance to get this fixed properly is to put the fear of lawsuit in their heads - this is the only thing that works with AoA. I wish I had an idea why it happened, but I don't. I have an '02, but with a manual transmission and I know for certain that if you press the brake while you are on the throttle, the throttle is killed instantly. This is a hold-over from the old 60 minutes unintended acceleration days. If this failed in your car, something electronic is out of whack.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default application of brakes should kill turbos, something is definitely wrong

from a stop, put car in drive, apply brakes and hold; then press accelerator. The boost should cut out and the car should not be able to overpower the brakes. make sure seatbelt is fastened and be sure car is aimed at dealership service entrance.

Also -- ask them to examine the rotors and have them explain to you how the hell they became overheated to that degree if everything is fine.