After cleaning throttle body no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After cleaning throttle body no acceleration

I cleaned the throttle body and surrounding hoses, cleaned check valves with carb cleaner, replaced suction pump with D version, replaced hoses to valve cover EGR, cleaned the inside of the variable resistor unit on the side of the throttle body with contact cleaner.

It started right up and runs smoothly. But it will not accelerate. Step on the gas; nothing. It will slowly get up to speed.

Any ideas on what I might have screwed up?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing you looked for vacuum leaks. I'm wondering if your intake servo is getting vacuum. The one that switches the long runners and short runners of your intake. (I could be totally wrong in my thinking - just an idear)
Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

did you unplug the throttle body? might have to go through adaption
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes the throttle body was unplugged. I drove it about 5 miles with no change. How long/far will it take? Is it likely to cause this symptom. I am going to recheck hoses for possible leaks.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today it worked fine. I believe it was in limp home mode yesterday. I took it to have the error codes read. Pretty much everything except the spare tire showed as bad.

I had the ignition on to listen to the radio while working, and turned over the engine to pull in cleaner while all the assorted cables were disconnected. This caused the errors and caused the computer think that things were in the crapper. Restarting the engine apparently caused the computer to review recent data and operate the engine properly.

While testing the car yesterday I had a road rage incident. A couple of guys in a pickup truck were at a dead end on the road I was using as part of the drive to test the car. There are no parking signs at the end of the road so I stopped and waited for them to turnaround. They then proceeded to drive at about 5 mph. I did not want to pass on that road (narrow, restricted sight distance, and a car that simply will not accelerate). Then they pulled way off the road and stopped. I still did not want to get in front of them because I could not build up speed in a reasonable manner. So I stopped an waited. They viewed this as a bad thing. Generally understandable. They then tore out of the muddy roadside and sped away after chewing up the ditch along side of the road and spewing mud. I continued to drive then to go back to the main road. They had pulled off into someones driveway and were waiting for me. When I passed they pulled out and crawled up on my bumper at high speed. I came to a stop sign and stopped. They went around me at high speed and braked abruptly because there was a car coming on the intersecting larger road. After a brief almost stop, they continued on in front of the on-coming car. There is another stop sign about a 1/4 mile ahead where the road ends at an even larger road. At this point I decided I should get their license number. Bad decision. They signaled for a left turn and I did too. They changed to right turn and I followed with my signal. They turned and went for awhile on the new road and made a left. I did also. As I came around the corner, they were stopped on the road. I stopped. The driver jumped out and came back to my car. I rolled down the window and he demanded to know what my problem was and what I wanted. I told him I was trying to get his plate number because of his behavior and he told me, as I believe I heard it, to watch out old man. And went back to his truck and left at high speed.

Why did I describe the situation? He would not have understood my car problem, and I did not explain it at the confrontation. I put myself into a dangerous situation by following to get the plates. Be careful in this sort of situation. The other driver does not know why you are doing what you are doing. It may be interpreted as hostile action. I could have been shot or otherwise attacked.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this happens again and you dont have access to a scan tool, disconnect the battery for 30 mins or so, reconnect and turn ignition WITHOUT starting engine, leave for 10 or 15 secs and the throttle should re-adapt itself, the esp light will stay until you move the car 100yrds or so then should go off.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrv666
If this happens again and you dont have access to a scan tool, disconnect the battery for 30 mins or so, reconnect and turn ignition WITHOUT starting engine, leave for 10 or 15 secs and the throttle should re-adapt itself, the esp light will stay until you move the car 100yrds or so then should go off.
sorry, i forgot to add, there is no real problem with this but you will have to set up your time/date, re-activate auto windows and re-assign you key fob but all this is in the handbook and a 2 min job anyway.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can reset your TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation) by turning key to on, not starting the engine, press gas pedal all the way to the floor and passed the extra kick down. Hold for 5 seconds and then turn key off and keep key in, then release pedal and wait 2 minutes. You will hear a few tweaks inside the engine area and that will be the throttle body adjusting to the reset.