Anyone ever moved the timing chain one tooth without full teardown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever moved the timing chain one tooth without full teardown?

I just finished a timing belt service due to a failed timing chain tensioner and the timing chain is off by one tooth. I removed the valve cover and had the intake cam completely unbolted as well as the tensioner along with the tensioner 3366 tool applied. I couldn't get the chain over, I tried for hours.
I've read on this forum and on Audiforums that it can be done. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default couldn't get the chain over what?

the cam chain and tensioner come right out with both cams, and the whole assembly virtually falls apart in your hands if you're not careful.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I did that when I replaced the cam chain tensioner

I want to do it without removing the bumper, radiator and timing belt. I found a procedure on Audi Forums. it looks risky, but I'm going to try it because I really don't want to have to remove the timing belt.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should be able to remove the intake cam completely...

This will allow you to rotate the cam one notch.

........ I think.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I think I have it!

I had to remove all of the bearing caps on the intake cam, and remove all but 2 and 4 on the exhaust cam leaving the bolts in very loose. I was worried about the cam moving out of the bearings too far and not being able to get it back in due to timing belt tension. I got it all back together and the intake cam looks to be slightly retarded, but not as much as it was before. I counted 16 links before, and now I count 15. I counted at least ten times when I did the timing belt, and three or four times now. Maybe my perspective is off making it look like the first roller is on the other side of the tooth.

I'm going to take a break and look at it again.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Third time.

I was able to advance the intake cam one tooth by removing the front bumper and just loosening the radiator carrier. That gave me enough room to access the crank pulley etc... I still have a misfire on cyl 4,5&6, but the car runs pretty good. Some hesitation and backfiring, but if I take it down again tomorrow and move one more tooth It should be good.

What seems wrong is that now I count 15 links between the timing marks. I'm counting the links between the timing marks not on either side of the timing mark.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default why the reluctance to pull the timing belt? it's quick and simple if you have the tools

and you run the risk of leaving a significant amount of power and performance on the table unless you do.

those timing marks on the cam sprockets have always looked a little screwy to me when trying to count chain links.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The exhaust cam is dead on.

So are both bank one cams. All that I need to do is move a on the intake cam. I don't want to have to spend the time removing the front of the car, but I was able to just remove the bumper and loosen the radiator carrier, which would give me enough room to take off the timing belt, but I really just want to do this a quickly as possible. I'm locking the crank and using the cam tool as well just in case.

I studied the diagram in the Bentley and realized where I went wrong. i was counting from inside the tooth that is directly above the timing mark, but it shows to count from the valley, which would put me 2 teeth off. Oh well, the procedure that i did yesterday didn't take too long so i should have things running right in a few hours.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good luck! =)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks! Runs great now.

Experience is the best teacher, but she's a real b**ch.