Did the timing belt + more and now I have big trouble - please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the timing belt + more and now I have big trouble - please help

I had a leaking water pump. I just paid to have the timing belt + water pump done 14 months ago. I could not afford to pay again, so I ordered the parts to do it my self.

I got the enhanced kit from Blau + the valve cover gasket kit as they were leaking oil.

I changed out everything and after many evenings work, I started it up today. Not good, it runs like crap. It will hardly hold idle. I hooked up VAG-COM sofware and I get:

17800 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus
P1392 - 35-00 - -

17746 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) Open or Short to Plus
P1338 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I read that bank 2 is drivers side. The camshaft position sensor is in the back. I took it off, it looks fine. I never even disconnected the wires from it.

I used all the Blau tools, so the exhaust cams should be right as they were locked in place when the crankshaft was locked. The cam sensor is reading the intake cam, so I have a bad feeling I did not count the links correctly between the cams.

Can can anyone confirm that if the chain spacing is off between the cam it will throw a 17800 code?

Is there a measurement block I can read to confirm the cam timing is off? It looked like group 90 was trying to tell me something.

I can't bear to do this all over again, and I already had to send the tools back. I need a beer.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Here are the car specs if if matters

1998 A4 2.8 QMS
Engine code AHA
Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Did you remove the cam shafts or change the chain?

I'd start by rechecking the exhaust cams with the tool. You can also check the chain via the specs in Bentley.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:43 AM

Default yes I did both to change the cam shaft seals

What does that tool do?

If the chain spacing is off a link, can the intake cam be repositioned without removing the exhaust cam (which means the timing belt again)?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Joey T

Default Did you put the reluctors back on the cam?

Was the cam timing off when you did the job ( IE, did you check the cam timing before you pulled the TB? )

And last, did you follow the Bentley for the cam chain timing? Because it is wrong for the 2.7, and may be wrong for the 2.8.

And even more last, splain to me why you pulled the cams?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you disconnect the battery before you did the work?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Answers to u questions

Cam timing was not off. I checked with crank at TDC and they lined up correctly.

Followed Bentley, but I see it is a little tricky for the exhaust cam, does not line up exactly. "The notch on the exhaust camshaft is slightly offset inward toward chain roller -1-." I may have done it wrong, but I tried to space 16 chain links.

Pulled the cams to change out all all camshaft seals. Blau instructions with cam seals say to do it. They don't send a seal puller for the cams, only for the crank. If I had that, maybe I could have avoided pulling the cams when changing all the seals.

I did not fully understand the "Mark installed position with paint" remark Bentley. I only highlighted the TDC mark on the cams. I see I should have marked the chain too, then this would not have happened likely.

I will put the crank at TDC, and open the cam covers. Do I need a new set of cover gaskets if I crack them open? If it is as I think that chain is off, can I correct the intake cam without taking out the exhaust?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM

No
Old 05-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Forgot about your "reluctor" question

Sorry, I don't know what a reluctor is. I searched Bentley and can't find what that means. I put all the parts back in, does "reluctor" have another name?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Default I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes as you posted in the other forum

It did not work. Car runs the same. Measurement block 90 says timing for Bank 1 is 10, while timing for Bank 2 is -50 which is way out of range. I still thing my Bank 2 intake cam is one chain link off.

Quick Reply: Did the timing belt + more and now I have big trouble - please help