gas smell in engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas smell in engine compartment

Yesterday driving home from work I was sitting at a stop light with the heater on and I started smelling a very strong smell of gas. If I turn the heater off I don't smell gas, if I'm the car is moving with the heat on I don't smell gas. The engine compartment on the other hand smells like gas whether the heat is on or not.

So this morning I began my less than professional evaluation and the gas smell seems to be coming from the airbox side of the engine, more specifically about where the air intake leads into the engine. While poking around I found the MAF sensor was loose (like almost unplugged), so I plugged it in all the way and hoped I fixed the problem. No gas on the way to work, but a really bad gas smell again on the way home. Guess that didn't fix it.

I'm going to take the car in tomorrow to have it looked at as it's time for regular maintanence anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight into what could be causing this gas smell. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fix it, but it's always nice have some clue about what might be wrong before going into the shop. Any info would be greatly appreciated