How to tell if a water pump is bad?? (long winded)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a water pump is bad?? (long winded)

My wifes 98 A6 2.8 (130,000mi) is overheating.. Just replaced the coolant expansion tank and cap and that did nothing.. They were cracked and needed to be replaced anyways.. I think the fan clutch is suspect.. Seems to spin the same whether the car is hot or cool.. But if I have to tear the front of the car off to replace the fan clutch, I might as well replace the t-stat while im there.. And if I'm there, I should prob hit the water pump as well..With an American water pump if it is bad, it leaks from a small hile in the bottom.. How can I tell if this one is bad or not?? Its only $70-80, so I figure better safe than sorry.. Im going to call the guy we bought it from tomorrow and ask him if it has ever been replaced just in case.. Thanks..
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Overheating as in temp gauge reading high or boiling over? In traffic? Open road?

Need more info. Bad temp sender?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Nope, it's overheating for real.. Boiling over.. Driving and sitting...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Guru

Default Still confused.

Car boils over when sitting in traffic and driving on the highway? Try to post some details: temp gauge reading and exactly what happens at various points. You're not really posting enough detail for anyone to help.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Details enclosed

OK, the car starts and drives just fine.. The temp gauge goes to half way just like it should.. Then after about 5 miles or so it starts to creep up.. It will go all the way to the right and boil over.. It does it even if you are standing still and not driving..
I am thinking it may be the fan clutch as it seems to be just as tight when the car is cold as it is when it is overheated.. But if I have to put the car in service position to change the fan clutch, I should prob do the water pump and thermostat as well while im there.. Im wondering if the water pump will leak fro the shaft like an American water pump?? If not, how do you know that they are bad??
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Guru

I'd say thermostat. Think about doing a full timing belt service.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Yeah, me too, but the TB was done about 30K ago.. Read on..

So, I'm thinking water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, valve cover gaskets (both), tensioner gaskets (there is two right?).. Anything else??
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Guru

Timing belt, roller, idler, etc. May as well. You're only talking a couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Im having the same problem, please read

Mine takes longer for the temp gauge to go past normal when at idle and shorter while driving. It starts to overheat and boil over in the tank. I shut it down and crack open the air vent on the coolant tube under the front of the intake and nothing but steam comes out. Upper rad hose gets warm but not too hot and the intake itself stays cool. I dont think a cooling flush has ever been done on the car. Will audi antifreeze boil after 10 years of use? or would a thermostat be more likely. Im just hoping its not not the headgaskets. I always run 91+ octane
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Should have the T-stat out this week and Ill let you know.....

I still havent found the thermostat yet, but Im sure its in there somewhere..

Quick Reply: How to tell if a water pump is bad?? (long winded)