help! 4.2 really hot, physically but gauges ok

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! 4.2 really hot, physically but gauges ok

Hi all - searched but could not find a topic spot on my issue. I could really use some expert advice because the situation seems way out of spec, but I was a Volvo guy until yesterday so I don't really know.

I just picked up an 04 S4 with about 35k miles from an Audi dealer - it is a "certified" vehicle that was supposedly checked for major issues. Its the 6 speed manual transmission. Great car.

Today I drove it about 200 miles in the morning (returning from a business trip), then ran some errands. Parked the car in a covered garage at 2pm.

At 4pm I noticed that the car was still very hot, not just near the engine, but it felt like hot air was pouring out from underneath it. I opened the door and the passenger compartment was also very warm.

At 8pm, still noticed heat coming from the car. I opened the hood - the engine compartment was still almost too hot to touch. I noticed that the coolant in the tank was about an inch below the minimum range.

I topped off the coolant and plan to check for leaks over the next few days.

I was wondering if this sounds like it might be an issue beyond the engine coolant - with either the transmission, quattro drive system or exhaust system because of the heat coming from under the vehicle and the hot passenger compartment. The engine temp gauge never went past nominal on the long drive or shorter local trips today.

Or does this model just run very hot?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 08-19-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check simple things first. Issue with Coolant pump, tank, fans?

If coolant fan is not working, the engine bay will stay very hot for a long time, and is almost too hot to the touch. When your car is hot again, check to see if the fan is running, you should actually be able to hear it, as it's pretty loud. Then, I'd unscrew the coolant reservoir(when cold) and check the underside for cracks and leaks(not uncommon). The aux coolant pump fails too, and is harder to find/diagnose. Take off engine covers and look around with a flashlight for spilled coolant.