A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Front License Plate Bracket Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket Removal Help

Hi there!

I recently purchased an allroad in Nov 2012, and I'm still very much in love with the car.

I currently live in California, where they require a front license plate. I tried (unsuccessfully) to remove the front plate holder from my car. I've been able to remove the screws (even the star-shaped ones), but have been unable to figure out how to remove the bracket. I'm reluctant to put too much force into the removal, because I didn't want to break either the bracket or the grille. I figured I would need a professional opinion or at least a more knowledgeable one.

I recently brought my car to the dealership for it's first scheduled maintenance at 5k miles. I asked the service advisor if they're able to remove the bracket for me. I figured there must be some special tool that is to be used. After a while, the advisor told me that in addition to the screws, the bracket is "glued" onto the grille, and told me that removing the bracket may cause damage to the bracket or the grille.

Currently, I have the front backet on the car, but it isn't holding my front license plate.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

The front bracket is a factory install. It actually a big project.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So far, all I have seen is that you can get the RS honeycomb grille for about $800 which is way too much, or go find a tune shop that may have one of the S-Style Grilles sitting around. The shop I go to offered to sell me one of theirs for about $300 but I passed since I'm still not sure what I want to do with the grille. Right now, I'm just chilling with my license plate on there.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you TREGinginCO & nemteanu for your replies. I was afraid that it wasn't going to be an easy or cheap solution.

I've read somewhere that it may be possible to use a hairdryer to heat the area to soften the glue. I don't know if this would work, but I might investigate further later on.

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default *** EASILY DONE ***

billy bob, this is the VERY first mod I did on my '13 AR on the day we picked up the wägon from the dealership!
you don't need to buy the whole grille! the preinstalled lic plate holder can be removed. there are 4 'one-way' tabs along the back of the top edge (positioned approx. just below the audi rings - see picture). after removing the 2 screws, start pulling on one of the top corners and finess this unwanted piece of plastic off the grille. you may break some or all of the 4 tabs, but it comes off nicely, once you exert some fearless force.
hope this helps...
Attached Images  

Last edited by bikaa-m.; 03-21-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: fix grammatical error
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

bikaa-m/All - Have you been able to get the euro look? What did you do with all those wholes after removing the US plate bracket?
Just got a 2013 AR and want to remove the bracket, but don't want to end up with a bunch of wholes or a bill for $800 to buy a new grill. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@gpiotra: for me the 'euro-look' is the placement of a euro norm license plate, including a proper license plate frame [total cost for both around $50; eg. [www.licenseplates.tv]. see included pic — NO holes are visible at all.

*in my opinion those $800 are better invested in a tune, exhaust system, window tint, etc

congrats to your new AR. cheers... m.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bikaa-m.; 03-22-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: correct URL
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
The front bracket is a factory install. It actually a big project.
It is not a factory install. I just bought a 2011 A3 S-Line and it came with license plate bracket mounted and the non license plate bracket in the boot. The dealer I bought it from put it on before they shipped it to me because I saw it with the non bracket in the photos.

How do you take the license bracket off?