A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:49 AM
KUJISPEED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted the heated steering wheel from say a C7 A6/7 into their B8?
Old 10-25-2022, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

There's no B8 clock spring that supports that era heated wheel. Here you see the C7/D4 clock spring for heated wheels: https://wolfautoparts.com/clock-spri...h-ps27789.html
Notice the extra plug at the 7:30 position. That's the heating circuit terminals. Since B8 had no heated wheel offering, none of the B8 clock springs have that connection.

Not that it couldn't necessarily be done. But you'd have to hack up that C7 one and merge the cable and top cover with a B8 unit and then connect in the 12v on the backside, etc. So if you really, really, really want it, I imagine you can make it happen. But there's no turnkey options out there, not that I know of.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:18 PM
KUJISPEED

Originally Posted by SMac770
There's no B8 clock spring that supports that era heated wheel. Here you see the C7/D4 clock spring for heated wheels: https://wolfautoparts.com/clock-spri...h-ps27789.html
Notice the extra plug at the 7:30 position. That's the heating circuit terminals. Since B8 had no heated wheel offering, none of the B8 clock springs have that connection.

Not that it couldn't necessarily be done. But you'd have to hack up that C7 one and merge the cable and top cover with a B8 unit and then connect in the 12v on the backside, etc. So if you really, really, really want it, I imagine you can make it happen. But there's no turnkey options out there, not that I know of.
looking on car-part, the first one is from a 14 A4 and second is from a 13 A6, the clocksprings look identical, they should fit the column the same no? I believe that extra connector at 7:30 is for the steering column control module, the plug looks identical. I might be wrong, but i'm just brainstorming at the moment.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They might physically interchange, but I would expect the C7 J527 to not interact well with the B8 chassis systems. Matter of the electronics inside rather than the physical form factor. Maybe it's possible and just needs correct coding. But you'd be in experimental land there.

Not sure what you mean by steering column control module. That unit in the picture is the steering column control module, the J527, with integrated steering angle sensor.

This is the unheated no-paddles wheel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265230101731
This is the heated no-paddles wheel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184944997315

The red plug with yellow and brown wires connects to the 7:30 plug on such equipped J527s for the heater circuit.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:31 AM
KUJISPEED

Originally Posted by SMac770
They might physically interchange, but I would expect the C7 J527 to not interact well with the B8 chassis systems. Matter of the electronics inside rather than the physical form factor. Maybe it's possible and just needs correct coding. But you'd be in experimental land there.

Not sure what you mean by steering column control module. That unit in the picture is the steering column control module, the J527, with integrated steering angle sensor.

This is the unheated no-paddles wheel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265230101731
This is the heated no-paddles wheel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184944997315

The red plug with yellow and brown wires connects to the 7:30 plug on such equipped J527s for the heater circuit.
You're right, no go on this front. Here's a post from another thread from Alex@Europrice
"Unfortunately the controls won't work with the B8.5 models. An analogy I've used before:

"The steering wheel speaks German and the car speaks English."

This is the same reason the 8V, C7, etc wheels don't work in the B8.5 as well. The controls speak a different language than the car does so they just don't understand each other.

Cheers,"
Old 10-26-2022, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, you'd be looking to just use the C7 wheel frame with heater circuit. You'd have to slot in your B8.5 controls, the form factor appears to match. A summary I made a long time back. Only the first two are B8 plug and play.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:25 AM
2015 allroad premium +

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gloves seem an easier option.

These cars heat up pretty quickly- seems like a lot of effort for 5 min per day from November to March.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'm double posting here but I thing this is the thread I was looking for, please don't hit me... I can see this heated steering wheel topic has been discussed to death, I'm not a form guy or rather I read forms like crazy but don't participate much; I'm sure ill catch some heat on this but would love to be pointed to the right thread or make a new one if the admins think I have a new and unique topic and I believe that I do... so here goes.

My car is a 2014 B.5 A4 Quattro S-Line, I discovered over ton of reading and examining pictures of used wheels on eBay that the B8 Q7 steering wheel is identical to the A4 in all ways and it has the integrate heating with the button on the wheel, all the other buttons are identical as well and in the same locations. I know my A4 doesn't have the module or the connectors on the clock spring, but I'm not really sure if this heater button stands alone or needs to speak to the electronics of the car to function. So I purchased a used Q7 clock spring so I can harvest the power ribbon wire for the heating element and retrofit it into my clock spring...

I will come back and let everyone know if this works and haven't received the wheel yet to bench test, so I guess my real question here is; before I go spending more money. Does anyone know if this heater would function with just a dedicated power line from the fuse box or does it need to communicate with a relay or other ECM electronics? I pulled the trigger on the wheel assuming it stood alone, but after further examination I can see the clock spring lacks the pass through for the power supply to the heater connection; I can see its feasible to get power to it... But will it turn on/off by just pressing the button.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The button is not an on off switch like a circuit, its a signal relay. It wont work because your car is not programmed to recognise the signal.
The following users liked this post:
nismodrifter6686 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp, anyone wanna buy a used B8 Q7 steering wheel and clock spring? LOL

I'm going to bench test the steering wheel and see if I can find some way to make it turn on with custom wiring somehow, if I can then its just a matter of getting the wiring through the clock spring without messing that up too... I realize the newer models are much more sophisticated with lane assist and angle sensors, etc... Maybe Ill figure something out, if not for anything other then a conversation piece. Being that the steering wheel has the heating element in it, I don't view it as being impossible; however it would not be plug and play and I would likely have to add a switch somewhere else in the car for it...

Certainly if I do, I will share! Thank you kindly for the reply.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit