A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Minor Rear end 2021 A4 - worth repairing? Got very high quote..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Rear end 2021 A4 - worth repairing? Got very high quote..

Hi folks, newbie here.

Audi A4 2021 Premium, Glacier White, under 12,000 miles, good shape. Bought used from Audi CPO program with 2100 miles on it - was a loaner.

Got rear-ended while waiting to merge at a yield for traffic (California). To me, the damage looks like a minor fracture.

Did a "photo estimate" with an East SF Bay Area authorized Audi body shop.
Summarizing the preliminary estimate: Replace the bumper(!!!) and sensors, match paint, yada, yada.
Said the photos indicated the bumper wrapped around an inner structure, I'll provide a photo below, but very hard to see the detail.
Around $3700. Shop contact said could go higher once they open it up.

Also did a photo estimate with my insurer, St*te F*rm. They totally low-balled it. Like in parts, under $5.00, patch and paint with cost mostly labor.
Claim settlement was mid $900.

I'll upload photos here, but they'll be very hard to see detail in. To me, it just looks like a long scratch (about 18 inches) with a black "fracture", for want of a better description, on one end.
My inclination is to do nothing, treat it like a beater. I have no emotional investment in this car. Current KBB is 20K-25K.

I'm 74 this year and already considering stopping driving. Just because I hate it - too much attention required. Don't know how long I'll keep this car.
It's easy to survive without a car where I live but things like grocery shopping and taking the dog to the Vet are an issue.

So...
What are the consequences of doing nothing? By doing nothing, could I have a safety risk, potentially be putting my wife and self in danger?

Thoughts, please - no prayers.

Worst part of the damage. For sizing, this was taken about 8-10 inches away.

Don't know if the sensor would have been affected.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is on someone else's dime, get it repaired at the audi shop. State Farm's MO is to low ball everything. But you say you weren't at fault, so let them pay.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:55 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

First off, glad no one was hurt. It's surprising how the smallest rear end impacts can affect you down the road.

It sounds like you couldn't care less about how it looks, so I'd just leave it if you can't get the other driver's insurance to cover it. I can't see how that would possibly compromise safety if you don't have any warnings when driving the car now.

Not sure how it works were you live, but where I live the insurance company doesn't determine how much something like this costs. Where I live, I would get an estimate from shops in the area, and then I would tell the insurance company which shop I will be using. The insurance company then cuts a check directly to the shop when the work is complete, and bills me for any deductible.