A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

2017 allroad - will bike lie flat with seats down??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 allroad - will bike lie flat with seats down??

Thinking of finally letting go of my 2006 A6 Avant for a fully loaded 2017 allroad Prestige with driver assistance, full paint and cold weather options. Angry that I can't get an A6 Avant or an A4 Avant so that staying with Audi requires getting what looks like a mashup of a A4 Avant and a Subaru Outback. Glad I can get the full paint . Maybe I should test drive an Outback?

It's important to me to be able to stow my road and mtn bikes without removing the front wheels (just lazy!). Can't find a dimension of the length between the back of front seats and rear lift gate. Anyone have that number? Or ideas of where to get it? Maybe just go measure an A4 sedan and assume it'll be close?

I realize that dimension is somewhat dependent on your front seat positions - I'm short so I'll get an extra couple of inches vs seats full back.

Thanks!

<b>
Current:

2006 A6 3.2 Avant </b>
Cambridge Green with Amaretto premium leather
Packages:
-PPX Premium package
-WTC Technology package with XM
-PAW Cold Weather Package
Individual options:
-PRF 18" 7-arm high polished alloy wheels with 245/40 all-season tires
-PGA Power opening/closing tailgate
Customer Order options:
-2ZM Heated steering wheel
-PDK Adaptive air suspension
- Manual Sun Shades
- Rear Side Air Bags

- Audi AMI added
- Audi base roof bars 4F9-071-151-666

- Added K40 bluetooth radar – but don’t recommend it.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2006 A4 Avant which is a few inches shorter than the 2017 Allroad and my bike fits with both wheels attached. I put my bike in rear wheel first, and turn the front wheel slightly up, which makes it fit with a few inches to spare. Since the 2017 Allroad is longer, a bike should fit as well or better.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Duncan (10-12-2020)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the b9 allroad have similar dimensions to the b8.5?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by f_399
Does the b9 allroad have similar dimensions to the b8.5?
It is slightly larger. Just like the B8 to B9 sedan.

When I say slightly, I'm talking just over an inch.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
It is slightly larger. Just like the B8 to B9 sedan.

When I say slightly, I'm talking just over an inch.
It looks like there might be slightly less tumblehome in the B9, which would add to useful loading, but may not show up in capacity stats,as they tend to ignore the capacity in the rear above the setback height.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Do two bikes fit in back?

Originally Posted by boston jake
Thinking of finally letting go of my 2006 A6 Avant for a fully loaded 2017 allroad Prestige with driver assistance, full paint and cold weather options. Angry that I can't get an A6 Avant or an A4 Avant so that staying with Audi requires getting what looks like a mashup of a A4 Avant and a Subaru Outback. Glad I can get the full paint . Maybe I should test drive an Outback?

It's important to me to be able to stow my road and mtn bikes without removing the front wheels (just lazy!). Can't find a dimension of the length between the back of front seats and rear lift gate. Anyone have that number? Or ideas of where to get it? Maybe just go measure an A4 sedan and assume it'll be close?

I realize that dimension is somewhat dependent on your front seat positions - I'm short so I'll get an extra couple of inches vs seats full back.
So how did the bikes fit? I have 2 Cannondale Tessaro X “touring” ebikes I’d like to pile in.
(65” with front wheel off; 29” wheels; 2.25” wide tires; front suspension)
https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...ku=c66260m10sm
Old 09-30-2020, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

See attached. You might have to scale the drawings to get the "seats down" length. Looks like you might have about 70" length available depending on front seat position.

Bill Duncan (10-12-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've carried a few friend's bikes in my 2017 Allroad. I usually take the front wheel off because it's my habit, but it looks like it would fit fine on its side without doing that. I did just drop off someone at the airport and carried a full size bike box and a couple pieces of luggage in the back no problem with the seats down. The bike box DID fit between the rear fenders.

Forget about the new Outbacks. While the interior is quite nice, they have a sh!tty CVT as the only transmission option (I had a 2015 Limited which I later sold). Nice car, but jerky transmission and nothing they can do about it. A mechanic told me that he sees a ton of newer Subaru's in junk yards now, something that didn't happen before the CVT's were introduced. While 2015 was a BIG step up in interior features and quality for Subaru, the mechanicals, including the engine, have taken a step back. The only Subaru I would probably buy today would be a mid-2010's Outback with a stick, or a 2.5 powered Crosstrek with a stick, and you still run the risk of getting a bad one with oil consumption issues.
Aviator6 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

70" was the measurement I estimated from the drawings.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

70" is my estimate from the drawings. My bikes are 69" with the front wheel on and tilted.

Quick Reply: 2017 allroad - will bike lie flat with seats down??