A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

B9 vs B8 cargo capacity increase 58.5 vs 50.5 cu ft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default B9 vs B8 cargo capacity increase 58.5 vs 50.5 cu ft?

I searched for the answer on the forum, my apologies if this has been answered and I missed it.

Trying to figure out how the cargo capacity increased by 8 cf. I looked at schematics but the charts I found don't show the length of the cargo area with the backseat down. Is the 8cf increase "actua", or a different way of measuring or some of both?

Would be grateful for the answer. Evaluating 2017 vs 2015-6 to see if what is gained (all features) is worth the additional approx. $12K (current used prices).

Regards, Steve
Old 10-05-2020, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by STSinNYC
I searched for the answer on the forum, my apologies if this has been answered and I missed it.

Trying to figure out how the cargo capacity increased by 8 cf. I looked at schematics but the charts I found don't show the length of the cargo area with the backseat down. Is the 8cf increase "actua", or a different way of measuring or some of both?

Would be grateful for the answer. Evaluating 2017 vs 2015-6 to see if what is gained (all features) is worth the additional approx. $12K (current used prices).

Regards, Steve
This may or may not help in your quest for information, but look at this post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-down-2905300/
It's the one just below this one.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Regards, Steve
I can tell you from experience that the rear passenger legroom and headroom is greater in the b9 vs the b8, so that probably contributes. I had a sedan b8.5 so cannot directly compare cargo vs the b9 allroad.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Regards, Steve
Hope you're including the stiffer chassis, redesigned front suspension, better steering, better braking, better torque vectoring (last two due to the new centralised chassis control unit), much better NVH that all flowed from the move to the MLB Evo platform for the B9. They are features too 😁
Old 10-07-2020, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, there are some other distinct advantages to the B9 besides cargo capacity. For one, you get the dual clutch gearbox and higher horsepower and torque 2.0T engine. This combination makes the B9 feel a heck of a lot faster than a B8 - acceleration feels explosive rather than just quick. Then you have adaptive damping suspension, which I don't believe was on the B8 AR. And I think the brakes are better on the B9. From a tech side of things, you get Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, the ability to get virtual cockpit with google maps in you nav screen, heated steering, ambient lighting, vented seats (which I don't think work very well), LED headlights, etc.

From a drawback perspective, some may think the loss of Torsen-based quattro with a 40:60 rear bias is a big loss in the B9. I thought I'd miss it, but quattro with Ultra is really really good and nets a huge gain in highway fuel economy. I get mid-to-high 30 MPGs on runs to the mountains on I-70 from Denver.

I still think the B8 AR is a very nice looking car - it's a bit more understated and clean than the B9, and I kind of liked the B8 interior more. But I'd encourage you to drive both if you are comparing. They are very different.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All of your comments are much appreciated. I drove a 2018 AR recently and loved the drive, very fun, tight and solid in my hands. I definitely appreciate all the technical and engineering advances in the B9 AR. Snow traction is of interest, I live in NYC and drive often in the winter up to the mountains in New England. Your experiences in the snow? Front seats are also important, I am a bigger guy, the 18 AR I drove had the sports seats which don't work for me, too tight. Planning to sit in an AR tomorrow with the standard seats.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

All of your comments are much appreciated. I drove a 2018 AR recently and loved the drive, very fun, tight and solid in my hands. I definitely appreciate all the technical and engineering advances in the B9 AR. Snow traction is of interest, I live in NYC and drive often in the winter up to the mountains in New England. Your experiences in the snow? Front seats are also important, I am a bigger guy, the 18 AR I drove had the sports seats which don't work for me, too tight. Planning to sit in an AR tomorrow with the standard seats.
I would avoid the sport seats. Had them in my original B9 and couldn’t deal with them after 5 months so I traded for a B9 with the standard ones. I’m 6’-3” and 250lbs so the sport seats were a bad choice. Hated the seat bottom bolsters. I think the B8 seats are a little more comfortable but it’s totally subjective.

Regarding the snow, the allroad is great. Ground clearance is helpful for the snows we get in Denver that don’t get cleared - 4-6” in the city. I’ve not spent the money on winter tires either which I should because the allroad would be unstoppable. No obvious difference to me in the b8 vs b9 snow performance. The continental all seasons on the allroad are ok in snow but a compromise.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Duncan (10-12-2020)