A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

DIY DSG fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MKVI GTI that needs this service every 40kmi, but the MKVII has a sealed systems and doesn't need it. Does the B9 require this service?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Shade tree mechanics beware of unverified advice unless you are working on a junkyard dog or you are expert (then you don't need advice) . Audi says under filling or over filling the gearbox will cause damage, $$$$. The Audi procedure for my 2.0 TFSI is quite fiddly multistep procedure. The basic principle critically depends on oil overflowing at at an exact temperature which I believe is general for Audi DSGs.
I used to wrench partly for economic reasons when cars were simpler. I am too old/affluent to bother now. Not a shill.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just completed the DSG service on my 2018 Q5. The process could not have been easier. The previous posters have done a good job describing the process. I can offer the following aids to hopefully help:

I used the Schwaben 007311SCH01A Multi-Functional Fluid Pump Kit (3-Liter). This worked great. I modified the angled DSG filling attachment to fit in the fill tube of the transmission. Since then I found this tool VAS6617/12. This would make the process even easier.
The following users liked this post:
dbias (09-24-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just changed my tranny oil, some questions...

Thanks to all for this write up.

I just changed my tranny oil too, the ATF part... All went very well thanks to these guides. I do have 1 or 2 questions I am hoping to get answered...

1. About the excess air that gets pumped in with the oil, will it break something or is there some pressure valve?

2. I got 3l of oil out and put about 3l back in, but is there a way to double check the level?

3. I have the VCDS tool and I chacked the temp. of my transmission oil, it was around 40C after about 10 min but after about 1h the temp got up to about 75C is that normal?

My box is the DL382 0CK, no filters changed as there are none, right?
Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Just changed my tranny oil, some questions...

Not a good policy to ask after you did it. There is specific procedure in Audi Service manual. I appears you did not follow it What so you expect?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by morris39
Just changed my tranny oil, some questions...

Not a good policy to ask after you did it. There is specific procedure in Audi Service manual. I appears you did not follow it What so you expect?
Well... To to answer your question, I would expect (or at least hope) that perhaps someone can tell me what step in the procedure I failed to follow, where exactly have I gone wrong?
Old 09-27-2020, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowa
Thanks to all for this write up.

I just changed my tranny oil too, the ATF part... All went very well thanks to these guides. I do have 1 or 2 questions I am hoping to get answered...

1. About the excess air that gets pumped in with the oil, will it break something or is there some pressure valve?

2. I got 3l of oil out and put about 3l back in, but is there a way to double check the level?

3. I have the VCDS tool and I chacked the temp. of my transmission oil, it was around 40C after about 10 min but after about 1h the temp got up to about 75C is that normal?

My box is the DL382 0CK, no filters changed as there are none, right?
Don't worry about the air pressure. The dsg fluid barely fills the case 1/3 full and is pumped to the top and drains down during operation. Any excess pressure will exit as the fluid drains while you are setting the proper level after the proper temp has been achieved. In order to get the most old fluid out make sure to empty the pressure accumulator while draining the old fluid first thing.
the level is checked when removing the fill tube once the transmission temp reaches the proper level. Once up to temp remove the fill tube and let the fluid drain until it comes to a slowed drip and put the plug back in..
I don't know about operation temprature, all i was concerned with was getting it btwn 30 and 40C So the level of the expanded fluid is correct.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbias
Don't worry about the air pressure. The dsg fluid barely fills the case 1/3 full and is pumped to the top and drains down during operation. Any excess pressure will exit as the fluid drains while you are setting the proper level after the proper temp has been achieved. In order to get the most old fluid out make sure to empty the pressure accumulator while draining the old fluid first thing.
the level is checked when removing the fill tube once the transmission temp reaches the proper level. Once up to temp remove the fill tube and let the fluid drain until it comes to a slowed drip and put the plug back in..
I don't know about operation temprature, all i was concerned with was getting it btwn 30 and 40C So the level of the expanded fluid is correct.
Thanks dbias,

Yes, I assumed the air would get released somewhere as surely Audi would not do something as strange as an airtight gearbox that still needs servicing... But I thought I'd ask the question just in case

I measured the drained fluid (just in case) to know how much to put in and it was just about 3l, and I did use VCDS to select "empty transmission oil pressure reservoir" but surprisingly it did not make much difference... About 3l of fluid came out, I then switched the ignision on and started VCDS and "activated" the "empty transmission oil pressure reservoir" but I did not get any more fluid out, so it did not make any difference... Nevertheless, it did not make any harm.

I then pumped 3.3l of fresh oil in, some came back out, I closed everything, started the car up, after about 10min when transmission oil temp. reached 40C I opened the fill port and very little excess came out.

I then also took the car for a drive and noticed that after about 1h of driving, the transmission oil temp. reached about 75 - 80C which is why I wondered if that is normal... But reading some other forums suggests that it is normal, apparently that is how hot oil in automatics get.

One more comment... My old fluid that I drained was actually very clean and clear... Sort of light gold/yellow and still transparent... Car has done 120k miles and is late 2015...

Thanks for the reply and guides!
Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did this job on a 2017 A4 Allroad Premium Plus (ok, about two weeks ago). Was a little time consuming due to not having a nice fluid pump (you can certainly use a $3 one [I could not find my expensive pump], but it broke two minutes into pumping and I was holding it together while pumping in the ATF fluid). Other than that snafu, went smoothly, used OBDeleven for the pressure relief portion, that worked fine. Transmission was actually noticeably smoother after the change. I will now do my future DSG oil changes at 30k-35k intervals as I've seen suggested elsewhere. Bought the fluid from local Audi dealer, was around $60 I believe.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ovidiu45
I just did this job on a 2017 A4 Allroad Premium Plus (ok, about two weeks ago). Was a little time consuming due to not having a nice fluid pump (you can certainly use a $3 one [I could not find my expensive pump], but it broke two minutes into pumping and I was holding it together while pumping in the ATF fluid). Other than that snafu, went smoothly, used OBDeleven for the pressure relief portion, that worked fine. Transmission was actually noticeably smoother after the change. I will now do my future DSG oil changes at 30k-35k intervals as I've seen suggested elsewhere. Bought the fluid from local Audi dealer, was around $60 I believe.
Great that these guides work so well... and are obviously still used
​​
Tell me, did you notice any more fluid come out after you enabled that "pressure relief option"?
I used VCDS to "activate" mine but did not seem to get any more fluid out... I got just about 3l out, how much did you get put?
The following users liked this post:
hammergjh (05-14-2023)

Quick Reply: DIY DSG fluid change