A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Door/rubber trim rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Door/rubber trim rubbing

What do you guys apply to the rubber door seal to keep the door and rubber seal from creaking/rubbing?

So I washed my car as always. Rinse, foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash etc. As always. Dried the car with a blower. It’s so nice to have a coated car when blowing dry. Anyways, opened the doors and used mf towel to get the soapy water that remained. Nothing vigorous or overly thorough. Got the rubber seals on the car and the whole periphery of the door itself. All good. No issues. Car was in garage for 1 week since I applied a coating to the glass. About 1 week later I get into car and the freaking rubber-grabbing noise from the door was immediate. This would happen when going over uneven surfaces and was not there when driving straight on flat surface. I can only assume that I removed some invisible rubber seal treatment and nos the door is grabbing the rubber seal and fighting with it. I’m not sure who is winning, but I am losing for sure. Prior to this I would have said the car was super quiet in terms of interior noises. Now, this noise can drive you nuts.
I need to make this go away or I might slowly get angrier and angrier. Based on my details, what do you guys think I need to do to silence this craziness. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

worth a try. I had a bmw 530 with a door creak. turned out to be the glass grabbing the seals. try cracking the window a bit and see if that solves it. if so, a little wax on the edge of the glass helps...
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Audi has a rubber treatment that is for conditioning the seals. I think it's several different products used together and isn't cheap.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Foulard
What do you guys apply to the rubber door seal to keep the door and rubber seal from creaking/rubbing?

So I washed my car as always. Rinse, foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash etc. As always. Dried the car with a blower. It’s so nice to have a coated car when blowing dry. Anyways, opened the doors and used mf towel to get the soapy water that remained. Nothing vigorous or overly thorough. Got the rubber seals on the car and the whole periphery of the door itself. All good. No issues. Car was in garage for 1 week since I applied a coating to the glass. About 1 week later I get into car and the freaking rubber-grabbing noise from the door was immediate. This would happen when going over uneven surfaces and was not there when driving straight on flat surface. I can only assume that I removed some invisible rubber seal treatment and nos the door is grabbing the rubber seal and fighting with it. I’m not sure who is winning, but I am losing for sure. Prior to this I would have said the car was super quiet in terms of interior noises. Now, this noise can drive you nuts.
I need to make this go away or I might slowly get angrier and angrier. Based on my details, what do you guys think I need to do to silence this craziness. Thanks in advance for the help.
Here's what I use. Apply sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-10-2020, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Honda Shin Etsu paste that aviator uses has a generally very good reputation on a lot of enthusiast web sites.

I have a bottle of 3M lubricant that has taken care of squeaks and finger pinch retractions of windows when used sparingly too:

Amazon Amazon