A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

New Tires for A4 Prestige?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires for A4 Prestige?

Top reccomendations across 3 websites: Continental Pure Contact LS, Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Factory Cinturatos: Already got 3 flats over 35K miles...any little tap on the side and they go flat.
Previous Michelin experience: Love the ride & heartiness, but loud and really deflect the joy of the tire.
No experience with Continental.

What's yours and why?
Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I replaced the stock Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S at 40k miles (could probably have driven 5k additional miles but winter was coming) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Costco often has Michelin tires on sale. Been happy with both tires.
For the next tire
change, I might consider Michelin Cross Climate2 for improved winter performance. Otherwise it would be Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 again.
For Continental, I prefer their Extreme Contact DWS, an ultra high performance a/s tire. Had several sets on prior cars.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up my 2017 Allroad Prestige last week, it had the OEM Conti tires on it (54,000km) - and they were down to about 6/32" (60%) tread. With some recent snowfall, these proved to be garbage in basic wet pack conditions for braking and turning, so I decided I would get new rubber for 3 season use and buy myself a bit more time to find dedicated snows. Installed Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 in factory 245 45 18 on OEM wheels yesterday, and I would say the handling is tighter (stiffer sidewall), while road noise is the same or quieter, too early to tell fuel economy wise - but on my GTI it was the same or better than BFG S001 summers. This tire is a high performance All season, but also rated for mud and snow (important factors in my decision, living in snow country I will run dedicated winters, but these I can run from March to December and be ok with a random dump). Pricing wise, I paid $226 each (canadian) plus a $65 mail in rebate, which is pretty solid value IMO. Would have tried the Michelin AS/4, but they were over $100 more a piece. These have a mileage warranty as well (80,000km I believe), and they look great IMO (clean sidewall, directional tread) which is a bonus.

Overall, I am very pleased with the handling benefit and slightly stiffer ride (maybe 15% stiffer? comfort mode is still cloudy soft, auto is the sweet spot, and on dynamic you get pretty good road feedback and can feel imperfections). IMO the chassis and body roll will break traction before the tires will on this platform. Glad I stuck with the stock 245 45, as local roads (potholes) can get pretty bad in spring. I have run this same tire on my 2016 GTI also, and really enjoyed them on that chassis for more spirited drives and backroads. After 15k on those, there was minimal wear noted.

Only downfall i've found thus far, there may be a slight vibration from the install (may need to check balance), and these tires are prone to flat spotting when parked overnight in the colder temps (both the GTI, and the Allroad now do this when I leave in the morning, goes away as they warm up, but the OEM allroad tires did not).

Will be taking them off this weekend for a winter setup, found an incredible deal on some used (mint condition) black Replika R167 18x8 with 235/50/18 Toyo G3 Ice (10/32 remaining) I could not pass up on.

It's been a great first week for the Battlewagon, brand new all seasons + killer deal on next to new snows + fresh oil change. My local Innisfil Audi dealer is amazing (even though I bought it elsewhere), and when they ran my VIN I was told the previous owner had purchased Audi Care, so they have me booked in next week for a complimentary 60k service Apparently covered up to 75K as well?!

Cheers,
B

Old 11-27-2020, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a close relative in the tire business, he has several A4 Allroad customers including me. He recently put ContiExtremeContact DWS06 on my 17 AR Prestige. Great so far. MPG is fine, just had a highway trip, 34.5 mpg at 70-75 mpg. He also likes the Pilot AS, we went with the Contis because there was a meaningful difference in price. He has put the Contis on many customers cars and is a fan of the tire.

I asked him about the Pure Contacts but that tire is being phased out in our size so finding a replacement may be a problem if you have to replace one die to damage or failure.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruckuss
My local Innisfil Audi dealer is amazing (even though I bought it elsewhere), and when they ran my VIN I was told the previous owner had purchased Audi Care, so they have me booked in next week for a complimentary 60k service Apparently covered up to 75K as well?!

Cheers,
B
Congrats on the new ride!
AudiCare is great, especially at the 40k mile (~64k km?) service when the tranny fluid change is due! It more than pays for itself at this one service.
The following users liked this post:
Bruckuss (11-30-2020)