A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Winter driving - again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received 50’ of snow at my house last year. Not every year is that intense, but we always get a lot. Dedicated snow tires are a must, and I usually put them on stock wheels, then get oversized wheels for summer.

General perspective is that Blizzak is the best for snow driving, but doesn’t last the longest due to its softer rubber. I have 245/45/18 Michelin x-ice on my stock wheels, and I don’t remember, but I think it’s because Blizzaks weren’t available in my size. Haven’t had a real chance to try them out since our winter has been terrible, nothing but a little rain so far.

I’m planning to purchase 20” summer wheels this spring, and still working out the size/specs. The only question remains what to do with the stock tires.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CKS$
I received 50’ of snow at my house last year. Not every year is that intense, but we always get a lot. Dedicated snow tires are a must, and I usually put them on stock wheels, then get oversized wheels for summer.

General perspective is that Blizzak is the best for snow driving, but doesn’t last the longest due to its softer rubber. I have 245/45/18 Michelin x-ice on my stock wheels, and I don’t remember, but I think it’s because Blizzaks weren’t available in my size. Haven’t had a real chance to try them out since our winter has been terrible, nothing but a little rain so far.

I’m planning to purchase 20” summer wheels this spring, and still working out the size/specs. The only question remains what to do with the stock tires.
You can try selling your stock tires - depending on condition, which will dictate price obviously - or keep them in case later you change your mind about your summer tires. What were your original tires? Just a suggestion - to everyone, it would be helpful if you list your location. I know you did not get snow yet, but how do you like the Michelin Ice compared to the AS's that came with your car?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the Blizzak and x-ice have good reviews, but I've always run Nokian Hakka's on our Audis and while I don't have a direct comparison I expect they'd be hard to beat. I went with 17" rims for the winter snows. In Canada we get 19" rims with the sport package. Another of my posts has some pics. I purposely selected rims with quite an open look to avoid snow getting packed in the wheel. So far, so good, and better than past winter rims. tWe haven't had a lot of snow yet in Ontario, so hoping the early experience carries thru the winter
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by all4road
Both the Blizzak and x-ice have good reviews, but I've always run Nokian Hakka's on our Audis and while I don't have a direct comparison I expect they'd be hard to beat. I went with 17" rims for the winter snows. In Canada we get 19" rims with the sport package. Another of my posts has some pics. I purposely selected rims with quite an open look to avoid snow getting packed in the wheel. So far, so good, and better than past winter rims. tWe haven't had a lot of snow yet in Ontario, so hoping the early experience carries thru the winter

I am thinking the Nokian Hakka's are about the best snow tire out there and I would have considered them if I were to live an an area that gets a lot of snow. Here in NE NJ, it's hit and miss and we really don't get much snow and what we do get, does get plowed pretty quickly. Having said that, we get enough to appreciate the added security when those tires are on.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
You can try selling your stock tires - depending on condition, which will dictate price obviously - or keep them in case later you change your mind about your summer tires. What were your original tires? Just a suggestion - to everyone, it would be helpful if you list your location. I know you did not get snow yet, but how do you like the Michelin Ice compared to the AS's that came with your car?
Location added to profile
The X-Ice are a soft rubber, siped-design winter tire, so I drive carefully so as to not wear them out. The AS feel soft, and low-performance, but I swapped them off pretty quickly after buying the car, so don't have a great comparison
Old 01-16-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Location added to profile
The X-Ice are a soft rubber, siped-design winter tire, so I drive carefully so as to not wear them out. The AS feel soft, and low-performance, but I swapped them off pretty quickly after buying the car, so don't have a great comparison
I believe all snows have a softer rubber, hence tread wear isn't up to the AS's, but then again most of us run them for about 3 months only, so they should usually be good for several years, obviously depending on miles driven. From the reviews though, the X-ice should last a little longer than most other snows.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
From the reviews though, the X-ice should last a little longer than most other snows.
I can vouch for this. My current X-Ice3s are on their 6th winter, and still have 8/32nds of tread left, as measured at a service appointment last week. This despite having them on the car for 5 months and ~12,000km (~7,500mi) every year.

My previous winter tires only lasted 4 years, and my girlfriend's with another brand are done after 5, so at least 7 years out of these X-Ice3s is pretty exceptional, in my book.