A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

"The Great Xenon Headlight Debate"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "The Great Xenon Headlight Debate"

So minding my own business at work and a friend fires off a e-mail about some MSNBC thing he saw about Xenon's. Thought I would share my comments and see if anyone has anything to add.

See the bottom for the link...

Thanks for the interesting article, actually picked this one up on TV the other night. This subject is just stupid if you ask me. Xenon (or high intensity discharge) headlights have nothing to do with prestige as the clip eluded to but rather safety. Anyone that understands modern headlight technology knows of something called a projection unit headlamp. Unlike old standard halogen headlights you pick up at an automotive store projector lamps have a VERY controlled output to them. Halogen or Xenon bulbs alike if you stand right in front of a projector unit you are going to see a very distinct cut off in the light output. This transcends from Europe where DOT regulations haven't plagued technological advances in automotive lighting. The thought being that if you control the light that is emitted from the headlamp then you can increase the amount of light (either by wattage or type of gas and indirectly color) then you wouldn't blind oncoming drivers as you would with a higher wattage older style headlamp. Xenon gas emits a blue/white color to oncoming drivers but a very white light to the driver of the vehicle equipped with the Xenon lamps.

What really chaps me about this whole controversy is people complaining about forward progression. I have Xenon headlamps on my car and bought them for a reason, I like to see where I am going at night. They were aimed at the factory correctly and I would imagine rarely blind other drivers. What really kills me is that no one cares about the thousands of import cars out there with kids driving them that have aftermarket driving lights that are improperly aimed and more of a nuisance. What about the SUV's that sit higher off the ground and therefore increase the level that the light is emitted at and cut off at by the projector. God forbid if we question the SUV. What about the millions of morons that drive around with their "fog lights" on all the time? These lights effectively DOUBLE the light output emitted from the vehicle but nothing is said about them.

People need to get a life if you ask me. Something as trivial as automotive lighting is not something to lose sleep about especially consider statistically there is no proof they are more dangerous. I wonder if I could get some airtime on MSNBC to talk about how much I hate SUVs that tailgate me and make me nervous on the road, think that might happen? Seems like they have nothing better to do right now...<ul><li><a href="http://www.msnbc.com/m/c/ctv_emailthis.asp?id=nn_hager_headlights_010612&sk =msnbc&sl=&0mw=x93">Link To MSNBC Article</a></li></ul>
Old 06-13-2001, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In my opinion it is not the brightness but

but how well the headlights are aligned. Too many
cars with one beam toward the sky... some others with both beams aimed at oncoming vehicles, xenon or halogen.