A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

"HONK"--------->is a goose stuck under my hood????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "HONK"--------->is a goose stuck under my hood????

Ok all, I am having ANOTHER issue that the dealership techs cannot seem to solve. I will do

the best that with a description but it is hard until you sit in it and listen to it:

I am getting a "honking" noise under the hood - sounds closer to the front - at about

3000rpm....just creeping I give it some throttle and there it goes.... sounding like a

goose. Here is the key, it is not under boost at all which then leads me to believe that it

is not the BPV.... or is it? This happens in 1st 2nd and at some highway speeds... have not nailed that down though.

The other way that I can reproduce the issue is by riding the clutch a little and then letting off-------------> HONK..... WTF?

The other thing is that this did not occur until after the entire clutch assembly and drive

line was replaced. Is it something to do with clutch? Plates slipping? I have no idea and

the techs cannot find a resolve. Any ideas?

This is a MY01 1.8T with 9500 miles on it.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2001, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the BDV (Diverter Valve) Classic sound/symptoms
Old 03-30-2001, 11:53 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think the only way you could say it's not the BPV is to put in a Bailey or Forge...

...and see if it's gone away, since the Bosch BPV's, even if "working" don't seem to fix this problem for some TT's.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:56 AM

Default That is what I thought at first.........but the dealership says no way....

whatever. I think that they suck.... horrible service. They can't even fix my center console let alone a noise coming from the engine bay....

geesh
Old 03-30-2001, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree. It'll cost you 'bout $140-150 to find out fer sur. I have a Bailiey, and it fixed my prob.

I noticed a diff. almost right away. The car didn't stumble off the line, and the surginess in 3rd and 4th was smoothed out.<ul><li><a href="http://stratmosphere.com/forge_valves1.htm">Forge Diverter Valve</a></li></ul>
Old 03-30-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my experience...

I had what I would describe as a "coke bottle" whistle sound when the tach passed through 3200. It only occurs when the engine is cold (i.e. first startup on cold winter day) but it goes away after a few minutes when the engine warms up.

I took it to dealer about two weeks ago.. they replaced the bypass valve, but that didn't solve the problem. I talked to the tech guy.. as well as a tech guy from another local dealer and they told me that it's a known "problem" but is not really a "problem". Evidently it has something to do with acoustic resonance inside the hoses leading to and going away from the bypassvalve/turbo system. Either way.. they tell me it's considered normal.

There's a FAQ somewhere on this website that addresses the issue, and claims that to fix it you need to replace all the hoses with the ones that come on a Tiptronic equipped car. Evidently there have been two or three documented cases where this was done and it solved the noise. The FAQ even gives all the part numbers for the hoses and fittings that were replaced.

BTW, my noise also occurs during accelleration and decelleration.... (not under boost).

It sounds like you have the same issue... as well as many many others on this board.

Eventually I'm going to replace my BPV with a Forge.... whether or not that fixes the noise, time will tell... but I am told that either way, it is not harmful or detrimental... just an annoyance at best.
Old 03-30-2001, 12:08 PM

Default Well then that is the other issue....

It does not stumble of the line at all.... and no surging what so ever. Hate to throw that in to the mix. The other thing is...yeah I could do the Bailey/Forge thing but (bear with me here) why is this my responsiblity/cost? These people need to be better trained and a little bit better at resolving isssues.

I even went down on a Saturday...before my appointment and took a tech for a ride. They still can't fix it.

:-(
Old 03-30-2001, 12:11 PM

Default I get the coke bottle too when it is cold.....

Never really worried about it. I have heard that replacing the serpentine belt resolves the issue but I am saving that for another day.

I just can't figure out why these people did not at least try a new diverter. Seems less costly than having them spend more man hours on the issue when I come back pissed as all hell....

I am hoping by this time next week AoA will have either replaced the car or bought it back. Hopefully this will all be a mute point.......
Old 03-30-2001, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

'coke bottle' sound is yet another classic bad DV signals, I had that too. gone with the Bailey
Old 03-30-2001, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I understand and sympathize. I had the dealer replace it with rev 'H', and it *still* f-d up

Quick Reply: "HONK"--------->is a goose stuck under my hood????