A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

***PUBLIC SERVICE ADVISORY, stay away from Do Werk Garage of Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***PUBLIC SERVICE ADVISORY, stay away from Do Werk Garage of Rhode Island

Some of you may know Jake who runs the little shop in Rhode Island called Do Werk Garage. In the past there have been several customers of his that put their vehicle and thousands of dollars in his hands. They all had the simple expectation of getting a quality job. After all, that is why you pay a business to do something right?

There have been multiple cars from B7 A4s to B5 S4s to B6 A4s to the latest and greatest, another B6 A4 that he has failed to complete the project or even worse butchered the car or had poor work done that needed to be redone. It seems like when it comes down to a job that some would say is a little more extensive than your basic changing rotors or swapping a new exhaust that he may not be up to the task. You would think even bolting on a turbo shouldn't be to hard, but apparently it is.

His latest masterpiece was a B6 A4 that was shipped to him and in his possesion for 17 weeks and he still couldn't manage to come close to completing the job. The owner ended up picking up the car and spending 2 days working on it himself with the help of some fellow Audizine members close enough to aid. He could then drive the car home where he will need to still fix other screw ups. He also decided to make terrible decisions such as thinking it was ok to install a toggle switch under the dash that you would have to first flip in order to start the car since he didn't know how to make it work properly. While doing all this he managed to make the stereo system not work anymore and also chopped the customers exhaust up since it didn't fit when performing the transmission swap he was doing. He then left the car like this when the customer picked up the car with open downpipe ready to drive 13 hours back home. There is more, the customer drove 70 miles and half of the nuts fell off his turbo manifold and his transmission was a full quart low on fluid after it was checked when it was a little noisy.

It was made known to the public of the very poor business habits and he doesn't seem to have a care in the world. He stated he doesn't have time to deal with this that he is getting ready for Waterfest and will respond on Monday when he gets a chance.

I will leave it at this and you can read the full thread over on Audizine here click me!

MORAL TO THE STORY: If you are thinking about having Jake at Do Werk Garage in Rhode Island work on your prized possession you may want to think twice. And if it is a bigger job I would without reserve say you should probably pass and take your business elsewhere.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I won't be going there (in CA) but this happens all over. I do everything that I can in my own garage, but had to replace the auto trans in my wife's Passat and figured some shop had to do it. My friend recommended "The Car lab", said they would treat me right. The guy estimated $600~$700 for the R&R. I delivered to them the replacement transaxle, with new filter in it, the ATF (and told them to go ahead and bill me for fluid anyway), and the Passat, washed clean top and bottom, on a flatbed. A week later they email me that the car is done and bring the $2,400. They said the job turned out to be so much harder than expected, their ace mechanic working over three full days on it. My buddies response- "so they screwed you TOO? Man, I though they had gotten better". After much hastle the bill was just under $2K, because they forgot the "referral discount". On top of that, it wouldn't go into reverse when my wife went to pick it up, because they hadn't filled the ATF with the engine running, though I had explained that to the mechanic. Oh, and when it was back home, a few days later I found his Snap-On breaker bar wedged between the top of the trans and the car's body.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the problem has been somewhat resolved. Jake had himself a good time at Waterfest then him and the owner of the botched car had their talk a day or two later. After several back and forths Do Werk Garage gave back some of the money payed to do the work.

The owner is now having his car towed to a local mechanic he trusts to have several things fixed that are still wrong with the car. He himself and a friend didn't get a chance to fix everything when he first got it back before making his trip home.

On an interesting side note a handful of other people have came out stating being unhappy with work done to their vehicles by Do Werk Garage also, so I guess he has a nice little track record of disappointed customers. Still not sure why all these people never said anything about the poor experience.