A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

*NEED AUDIWORLDS BEST PROBLEM SOLVERS* - PC-16 install and now a plethora of problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEED AUDIWORLDS BEST PROBLEM SOLVERS* - PC-16 install and now a plethora of problems.

Ive installed a pc-16 set-up on my car and need some help diagnosing some problems. I do not have a wideband so I dont know specifics right now.

Problems:

1. Mis-fires - on cold starts the car idles fine, and warms up ok, but when I drive it it will mis-fire and dry-foul spark plugs. After the car is driven for a while and the plugs warm up they will fire again and run pretty smoothly. I have run NGK BKR6E and BKR7E with the same result.

2. Turbo Stall - At or around 5000 RPM the turbo seems to "stall" or fluctuate rapidly between 10 and 12 psi and wont go any higher. I beleive the pc-16 is supposed to go up to 18? There is a great loss of power and can be felt in the car and you can also hear the turbo spooling erratically. Occasionally the turbo will put out up to 15 psi but no higher and immediately followed by the stall.

3. Dont know if this is correct in the pc-16 but my turbo spools at 2k sometimes lower. Strange.

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS - When I did the timing belt in the summer i had a hellish time of it. there may be a potential for the crank pully to be off a tooth. would this even cause an issue like this?

Recently(before turbo install) Ive been getting low engine coolant temps(70-75C) so the thermostadt may be gone already or an engine temp sensor. I doubt its a sensor because the oil temp is the same.

Also may be an exhaust leak at the flex pipe. I have ordered a borla exhaust and should be installed late this month. And the k04 is hella loud! i dont know if this is common because Ive never heard another k04 before.

I have replaced all turbo gaskets, swapped numerous spark plugs and still end up with this problem. i just want the damned thing to run right and I would apreciate any help you guys can offer.

I have tested for vacuum leaks and ended up with a woosh of air from my broken dipstick area.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Elder Member

Default Check the vac lines for leaks if you are getting that sort of psi.

as for the turbo stall, it could be the software or something else. make sure the chip was soldered in well.

might need to get a new t-stat, yours could be stuck open.

If you are getting a borla installed soon, i wouldnt worry too much about the exhaust leak. I have never heard a k04 on a a4, but on the s4 they are pretty loud, and i have heard they scream on the a4s. so that should be normal.

post your problems in your local forums and get your car vag'd to figure out what is wrong with the missfires.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Check the vac lines for leaks if you are getting that sort of psi.

thanks for the quick reply.
I tried that gay-*** tennis ball method of checking and got a whoosh of air from the dipstick which is broken. Why the hell would charged air be coming from the dipstick? also I did a compression check(not leak-down) and got good readings on all cylenders.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Obviously it needs

more cowbell. ;-)
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some questions

What gap are setting the NGKs at?

Is the n75 connected correctly? Longer nipple connected to inlet, bottom to compressor, last one to wastegate. I had my intake and wastegate lines switched once and it caused all sorts of crazy boost problems.

Are the misfires consistent on one cylinder, or random? Since your nDBW you shouldn't have to play musical coilpacks, but it's worth seeing if the misfires are consistent somewhere. See attached link.

About the k04 being really loud, what intake do you have? If stock it shouldnt be that loud.

All I can really think of at the moment.

You have a vag?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1084917.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1084917.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Elder Member

Default i have never hread of that tennis ball method...

my best advice is to get it VAG'd though.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: some questions

im running the BKR7E's right now at .028.
Ive never undont the n75 but i will check right now.
The cyl that misfires changes this time its #2, last time was 3 and time before was 4.
I have a stock intake with the snorkel removed and a k&amp;N panel filter.
thanks for the link. Ill look those things over now.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: i have never hread of that tennis ball method...

Yeah my buddy at work has one but is having problems with it lately. I REALLY need one myself.

Tennis ball method is just drilling 2 holes in a tennis ball, one on either side, slide an air hose in there and jam it into the air intake and pressurize the system up to about 30 psi. supposedly you can hear vac leaks easier this way without the sound of the engine running.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Don't you need to pressurize each cylinder @ tdc for leak check?

otherwise the intake or exhaust valves will be open and air can escape either way. I thought you had to position each valve at tdc and pressurized the cylinders through the spark plug port.

As for air leaking out the dip stick wouldn't that be air leaking around the pistons into the crank case? How many psi are the rings around the pistons supposed to hold?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default might want to check your ignition amplifier (pos)

there is a way to test it somewhere in the archives.

Use the snorkel, it's there for a reason.

(edit) this is dumb, but just double check all your major hoses (turbo inlet, turbo outlet, intercooler, throttle body)

What fmic or upgraded smic are you running?

Quick Reply: *NEED AUDIWORLDS BEST PROBLEM SOLVERS* - PC-16 install and now a plethora of problems.