A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8t Head Swap Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8t Head Swap Options

I need a head for my AWM, I can not seem to find one around here but see plenty of AEB and even an AUG. What would the easiest path be to get back on the road, and what components would I need to swap (cams, manifolds, tensioners...)?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I might have an AWM head. What is wrong with yours?

Mine has a few bent valves. Been meaning to get the valves replaced and use it for a spare, but I'd sell it as is or fixed, your choice if you are interested.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no details (not my) garage (out of state) tells me their machine shop said it was cracked. I am picking it up and taking it to my machine shop Monday. I take it you lost a timing belt, did you get the head checked? PM me on $$ and your location.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Definitely have your machine shop check it. Cracked head is super rare. It's probably fine.

My head is off a parts car I bought with a jumped belt. Damage was light and the bottom half is already in another car.

Sorry, but I don't do the crappy AW PM system. Hit me on email at tmullaneATgmail. I'm in CT. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shellwig
I need a head for my AWM, I can not seem to find one around here but see plenty of AEB and even an AUG. What would the easiest path be to get back on the road, and what components would I need to swap (cams, manifolds, tensioners...)?
You want to swap everything you can. Problem is the AEB/AUG heads do not have a SAI port and they also have larger intake/exhaust ports. The exhaust ports are not an issue, but you will want to get a tapered intake gasket if you plan on running your AWM intake manifold.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any specifics on what needs to be done to put AEB, AUG or any other available head where my AWM was? Should I do things like replace my intake manifold, I thought I read with some heads I need to use the original exhaust cam...things like that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a reman'd head from headsonly.com and it was done very well and works great (after many trials with my re-assembling of the car).

You can call them and they will want a code off the head ...they will send you the right one.

The head is a bit pricey rebuilt...$800...ouch.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shellwig
Any specifics on what needs to be done to put AEB, AUG or any other available head where my AWM was? Should I do things like replace my intake manifold, I thought I read with some heads I need to use the original exhaust cam...things like that.

Thanks in advance.
Not the cam you need to use, its the cam pulley that the timing belt goes on. You need to use the cam gear that is made for the engine you are running since it is part of the timing belt system.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 058 block 06A head

I swapped my AEB head to my APH head on AEB block because I had the APH head ported and polished awhile back, its ports are actually now bigger than the AEB head. so I imagine you can swap any 1.8t head to any 1.8t block or visa versa. I had to use 7/16" drill bit to bore the head bolt holes on the aph head for the aeb arp head studs.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to mention. that picture of the APH camshaft position sensor is before I swapped it to the AEB sensor. do not forget to swap these as the ecu will not read the cam shaft position correctly!!

Quick Reply: 1.8t Head Swap Options