A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8T Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-1999, 02:55 PM
Ed R.

Default 1.8T Hesitation

Many things to love about my new 99.5 A4 but one thing continues to irritate me. It seems to hesitate as the engine winds up between 2000 - 3000 rpm, two or three quick hesitations. I originally thought it was the compressor but with the ECON on (A/C) off it still does it. Any ideas? The dealership has driven it and cannot detect anything. The diagnostic shows no problems. Also, the gearing difference between 2nd and 3rd seems lame. When you upshift to 3rd you lose a lot of rpm and power. Downshifting for a tight curve to 2nd is too abrupt because of the difference. Is it just me?
Old 06-30-1999, 03:00 PM
parkerpt

Default I noticed this too...

but I just figured it was my driving. I agree with the difference between 2nd and 3rd when downshifting. If I'm caught at that speed right between 2nd and 3rd and I shift down it seems too abrupt but if I stay in third it seems like it takes forever to get the rpms back up. But I'm still smiling the whole time! Maybe I'll go for a drive right quick and practice that for a while.<p>parkerpt<br>99.5 1.8T qms
Old 06-30-1999, 03:20 PM
Leszek

Default Re: 1.8T Hesitation

I've got the same hesitation between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
Old 06-30-1999, 03:58 PM
Bob L

Default Re: 1.8T Hesitation

I have seen this also on my 98.5 1.8TQMS. I have asked the dealer to look at it when I was in for service. The technician rode in the car with me and acknowledged the he felt it. Scanning the ECU showed no errors. The effect is minor but sometimes annoying. I used to use Mobil but switched to Shell and have felt the problem less.<br>I have wondered if it has anything to do with RFG. I have RFG in my area. Unfortunately I can not fill up with an unblended fuel to see if there is a difference. My other car is a VW Jetta 16V. It does not have any problems with the RFG. However, a few years ago I was on a trip and had to fill up near NY City in the Winter time, when the fuel there is heavily oxygenated. The Jetta ran *terrible* on that tank of gas. It was the same sort of hesitant acceleration that I sometimes feel with the A4 but much worse. The RFG has MTBE but a smaller amount than the heavily oxygenated Winter fuel that some areas are required to use.<br>
Old 06-30-1999, 03:59 PM
Klidge

Default Glad to know others also perceive this annoying problem. In conjunction with the poor steering feel, it's enough to leave me rather disappointed with the A4 overall; I wouldn't buy another.

nt<br>
Old 06-30-1999, 04:01 PM
Shabbis

Get a 2.8, then you won't be so disappointed.
Old 06-30-1999, 04:12 PM
JohnO

Ditto. I suspect the &quot;lagless&quot; turbo has a little lag to it.
Old 06-30-1999, 04:23 PM
danp

i noticed similar things on my 2.8
Old 06-30-1999, 04:34 PM
ChuckH

I also experience a significant lag somewhere in that range on a 2.8 30V.
Old 06-30-1999, 05:01 PM
Peter G

Default simple solution

Don't drive in low RPMs- I usually don't drive much below 2800. I've checked the fuel efficiency and it's not significantly different from very conservative driving. Of course, if my engine falls apart at 125k miles, I'll know why....<p><br>Peter G<br>96 2.8 QM

Quick Reply: 1.8T Hesitation