A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8T vs Subaru 2.5RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-1999, 09:12 AM
Andrei D

If it were the 22B, it would cost TWICE as much as the A4!
Old 04-16-1999, 09:42 AM
DwayneC

Default Re: Dwayne - is AutoDepot for real?

I have never used them before, nor do I know anyone who has. I'm not sure how it even works. My father is considering purchasing a Jetta TDI through them.<p>There is another Toronto based leasing company online that has similar pricing (www.excelease.com). Try the lease builder.<p>At the very least, they are an excellent bargining tool with your local dealer.<p>Dwayne<br>94 S4
Old 04-16-1999, 09:45 AM
G. Hale

In that case they would be far from the same price. $23k vs. about $44k.
Old 04-16-1999, 09:45 AM
DwayneC

Default Re: Agree with Dwayne

Like I said, from what I can tell the lease prices are $100/month in the Subaru's favour (<=Canadian spelling).<p>If that is your budget, it is a best buy in my IMO. If you can afford the A4, I would get that.<p>Dwayne<br>94 S4
Old 04-16-1999, 11:43 AM
GusS

Default Excelease is even more astounding

1999 Audi A4, 4dr Sedan 2.8 (M5) Quattr <br>Options <br> - 6 Function Trip Computer <br> - Audio Package <br> - Leather Seat Upholstery <br> - Metallic Paint <br> - Power Tilt & Slide Glass Sunroof <br> - Ski Sack <br> - Sport Package <br>Est. Monthly Payment: $388.54<br> Residual: $27,194.70<br> Residual kms: Average kms <br> Term: 36 months<br> Down payment: $10,000.00<br> Trade-in: $0.00 <p>I was quoted $650 + tax at my local dealer for the same terms. I'm a Quebec resident, so perhaps it's possible to save on provincial tax too. Wow.<br>Thanks for these two links.
Old 04-16-1999, 12:59 PM
P2

Default Got both....

Actually, my brother got a 99 2.5RS last month in Rally Blue Pearl (close to Pelican Blue). Car drives great, good stock tires (RE92s), fast and looks totally intimidating with the new rally car front end (98 models came with the weak looking, standard Impreza front end). <p>Funny thing is, parked next to my stock 98 2.8QMS in the garage, my car still looks significantly lower. I like his car, but its too boyracer for me (he's 18, so I guess its suits him). However, I can attest that the Sub is one well built car. Totally worth the 24K spent on it. Everywhere he or I drive the Sub, I mean everywhere, people look, ask, stare at the car. Unless it was a 22B or a WRX STi, I won't trade my A4 for it. <p>P2...98.5 2.8QMS
Old 04-16-1999, 01:08 PM
Tony

Default If you can't see the difference for yourself, you must be blind

I liked the Subaru, until I took a look at the interior. I am hoping that you didn't see the Subaru in person. If you did, You couldn't see the difference yourself? I can't believe that they are in the same price range. Until I Purchased my A4 I was Car Blind as well. Now I can see Cheap cars a mile away. What Next, Infinity G20 vs A4? Please.
Old 04-16-1999, 02:25 PM
knh

Default I have both!

And i love them both. they both have great low end grunt and amazing traction. If you get the sube, spend the $160 on a beefier rear sway bar. With that setup, you can take on-ramps at 70 mph and still do some light off-roading. We've TSD rallied our RS in conditions I'd never take the Audi in.<p>On the other hand, out 1.8T is way more refined, handles beautifully with the sport package (on smooth surfaces, at least), and is noticably roomier.<p>I feel like the RS can take more abuse. If you don't care about status and just want to go out and play, go that route. <p>As a side note, there are now turbo systems available on the aftermarket. I've seen reports of a stage II setup (7 lb turbo, intercooler, exhaust, intake) make 0-60 in 4.75 seconds and the quarter in 13.08 at 260-270 hp. All this for about $4000. A stage on setup is 0-60 between 5.5 and 6.0 seconds with about 210-225hp or so.<p>We're also waiting for a supercharger in the 6-6.5 second range.<p>The RS, like the Audi, has a lot of potential. The aftermarket is smaller, but it's growing fast. plus, the chassis is as stiff as they come.<p>Good luck. You can't go wrong either way.<p>If it sounds like I'm pushing the Sube, I'm not. I just figure you'll find out all the Audi info you need from others.<p>Check out:<br>http://www.ee.unlv.edu/~simon/<p>for more info.
Old 04-16-1999, 02:26 PM
knh

They're not in the same price range. You can pick up an RS for $18k. Of course the Audi is more refined
Old 04-16-1999, 03:42 PM
garys

Default another "I have both"

Have a 98 A4 1.8TQ and 99 Outback Limited with the 2.5 (last year with twin cams I hear). The Outback has less accessories and computer controlled stuff. Both have heated seats (never thought this would be something I would want but in cold weather feels reeeaall good). My impression is that the Outback could use the 5 speed auto to improve performance (rumor has it the Japanise version will have a Tiptonic in the future as well as a turbo). The A4 beats the Outback on handling and performance. The Outback runs on regular the A4 requires 94 octane. Use the Outback for my "appliance" car. Drive my A4 for the rush. Both cars beat the American "appliance" cars hands down. <p>Other than than I have no opinion...<br>

Quick Reply: 1.8T vs Subaru 2.5RS