A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8t waterpump (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-1999, 03:12 AM
keeping quiet

Default 1.8t waterpump (long)

My A4 went in for it's first scheduled checkup last Friday and as they<br>were washing the car I noticed the tech also topped off the coolant. I asked<br>why and he said the water pumping was weeping (leaking slow) and that they<br>had ordered a new one. They also told me not to feel bad as "they all do it".<p>Well! That didn't help my mood. When the part comes in, it's a 3-4hour job (glad<br>I don't have to do it!! - looks painful). Anyone else have this problem? If what this <br>guy said was true, passat and a4 owners with 1.8t engines should have a look see.<br>I can't see the leak from the open-hood view; the tech saw it when the bottom<br>pan was removed while the oil was draining.<p>FYI - can anyone else comment on their brand new 1.8t engine having a failed<br>waterpump? If interested, I'll check my car's build date.<p>BTW I casually asked about chipping and they said "End of warrenty" and they<br>also said they could tell. I know some chips don't change the signature....<p>This dealer is IRA in Danvers Mass. I'll be sure to keep a watch on them<br>regarding that test for sure.<p>chipful and nameless
Old 06-21-1999, 04:30 AM
Rich Quinlan

Default Chips and signatures...

My Hoppen / MTM chip looks identical to stock when plugged into the VAG tool.. as it sould, since MTM IS Audi's Tuner.<p>However, when they pull your car into the bay or back out, or for a quick spin to check brakes, etc. they will know for sure!!<p>The only warranty the chip (ECU) voids is the warranty on the ECU itself. Anything else that breaks is covered by the warranty (no matter WHAT the dealer says), UNLESS the new ECU directly caused the failure of that component.<p>Rich<br>40k on my chip & still loving it<ul><li><a href="http://home.att.net/~richquinlan">Quinland-in need of updates!</a></li></ul>