A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8TQ: Performance in the snow is TERRIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-1999, 11:58 AM
GregW

Default I use the same technique in turns...

Just a bit of a 4 wheel slide, then straighten the whell and give it a little gas. Works great, but takes a bit of practice.<br>
Old 01-14-1999, 12:54 PM
Pat

Default Re: 1.8TQ: Performance in the snow is TERRIBLE

I have a 98.5 2.8QM and I can't believe how well it does in the snow. My other car is a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I thought was the ultimate snow car until I drove the A4 in the snow. I can't get the tires to break traction no matter how hard I step on the accelerator. On the odd occasion when the back end starts to slip, a quick press on the gas will straighten the car right out.
Old 01-14-1999, 01:05 PM
Cathleen

Default Re: quattro in the snow

I've driven all kinds of cars, trucks, FWD,RWD, 4WD, AWD, etc. in snow. I feel most control and stability in the quattro with snow tires. In fact, the other day when it was really bad, I drove a 4WD Explorer and couldn't wait to get back in my car because there was no sea-of-the-pants 'feel' for how the truck was responding vs. my stiffer suspension quattro.<br>You have to become more accustomed to a little rally-style driving. Not all-out crazy and sliding in to other cars, but it's okay to feel some slipping and oversteer. If you ever watch World Rally Cars, they do a controlled slide all the time, when they corner.<br>The MOST important thing you need to know is NOT to make quick or evasive maneuvers. All inputs; throttle, brakes, downshifts must be VERRRRY smooth and not abrupt. I was once told by an instructor to pretend like there's an egg between your foot and the pedal that you cannot break. Of course, practicing smooth, gentle inputs in bad conditions applies to any type of car you drive but even with quattro and snows, you can't hammer around and expect to maintain control. <br>When I get a bit of oversteer on the heavily coated roads, I ease up a little on the throttle until it catches, straighten out gently and ease back on the gas.....then it's off and running! Yeeehaw.<br>BTW, even when I slip it's not as bad as other cars that are just get plain stuck or endlessly spin on two wheels with not much forward motion. Also remember that even the AWD SUVs are slipping too. As evidenced by all the rollovers and SUVs in ditches I've seen in the past two weeks. Moral of story is know your car and how to get the right responses. Go to an empty parking lot and have some fun.<br>-C.
Old 01-14-1999, 01:48 PM
Spin Doctor

Default ouch!

Just don't do a 'quick' press on the gas when your back end starts to come out when you are making a turn or you are going to be very entertaining to watch.<br>BTDT <br>
Old 01-14-1999, 02:19 PM
Andrew H.

Default A few winter driving thoughts!

My thoughts:<br>I am from maine, so I have driven in snow quite a bit.... now that I have an A4 in Washington DC here is what I have discovered. The dunlops on the sport package are horrendous snow tires. period. If you see more than a few days of snow a year (which I don't, fortunately) I would get snow tires. It is not the weight of the car, since I can drive lightweight frontwheel drive cars in the snow NO PROBLEM with proper boots (snow tires). Secondly, the audi has more power, so spin outs are easily achieved, even with quattro. The BEST defense for winter driving, as my mom always said is easy on the gas and easy on the brake. My advice is get some good snow tires (as discussed elsewhere in this forum) and finally WATCH OUT FOR MORONS.<br>Hope this is helpful.<br>Happy motoring.<br>Cheers,<br>Andrew<br>98 1.8T qms
Old 01-14-1999, 02:20 PM
Pete R

Default Re: 1.8TQ: Performance in the snow is TERRIBLE

Four good snow tires will make a world of difference. Call the Tire Rack and get a set of Pirellis or Artic Alpins - something that gives decent performance on dry roads. Then go play in a parking lot to get the feel of the quattro. Think of the money as your insurance deductible.<p>Pete
Old 01-14-1999, 02:20 PM
andrew h

read cathleen's advice first, it is better than my post above...
Old 01-14-1999, 02:44 PM
Martin

Default Do you still have the SP8000's on the car?

They're tobbogans. Get some steel rims and winter tires. And just watch what other people on the road are trying to do, then accelerate away from them. It will make you feel a lot better.
Old 01-14-1999, 03:04 PM
randall

Default she's back!!

<br>welcome back.<br>when are u coming up to TO?<p>(suggest wait for some of our snow to melt. Other drivers and all)<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm
Old 01-14-1999, 03:30 PM
JIM H.

You obviously have a 1.8T w/Sport Pack. or a 2.8.Get thee a set of M&amp;S tires pronto.nt

Quick Reply: 1.8TQ: Performance in the snow is TERRIBLE