A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

12v Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Chip?

I have a 96 A4 12v. I know there are NO mods for this engine. I love the car but I want more speed. Supposedly, there is a supercharger in the making which will cost a grip. But what about a chip?

How hard is it to develop a chip? From the sound of it there are a couple of you on the forum that are technically advanced. Is it similar to programming a boost controller? All I know the ECU tells the engine how much gas to give, how much exhaust to expell etc.etc..... I know theres more to it, but how much and why can't someone try to develop one?
Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 AM

Default We've tried just about everyone in the chip business. The 12valve hitatchi ECU cannot be cracked.

TDL conversion seems to be the only chioce but its costly and from what I've read it really doesn't help your quarter mile times. Doesn't seem like its worth it. Buy a 1.8 and chip it with a Giac...my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:20 AM

Default Re: NO mods for this engine

I am supercharging mine. I have a '95 90 Sport with the same engine. Keep on looking around in the 90 forum, you'll find a lot of info on the 12V. You can also email me in person, @ NickyPrimo@aol.com. Mine is expected to be over 300 HP.

Primo

P.S. You cannot chip a NA engine and expect anything worth mentioning. Our engines run on open loop...my suggestion? Get a fuel management and tune it a little, you may find 5ish horsies.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's much harder than you would imagine.

In addition to the major Audi chip tuners, most of whom have dabbled in developing a 12V chip years ago, we have contacted two separate non-Audi chip tuners who assured us they could crack any chip (JET and Upsolute). Well, neither of them could crack the Hitachi code. At any rate, unless you've done other major (and expensive) modifications to your 12V, a chip would only give you 10HP or so.

Basically, there will never be a 12V chip. If you are interested in the details of the conversations with JET and Upsolite, check out the archived messages on the 12V development group on Yahoo (link below).

As for the Supercharger, I am assuming that you are talking about the PES one. They said that if we get 20 people wiling to put down a $1200 deposit, then they would make one. So far, we only have 7 or 8 people who are willing to put down a deposit. I highly doubt that we'll ever get 20...therefore, no PES supercharger.

You have to face reality, unless you want to spend lots of money, you'll only find very minor performance enhancements for your 12V.

Scott<ul><li><a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Audi12vDevelopment/">Audi 12V Development Group</a></li></ul>
Old 04-08-2002, 07:30 AM

Thanks!...Primos90Sport does your 90 model have the same ECU as the 12v?
Old 04-08-2002, 08:15 AM
Elder Member

Default uhhh.....a chip is TOTALLY worth doing on a 30V 2.8......

Definitely a "worth mentioning" increase in power, better throttle response, smoother acceleration. I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately there is no chip for a 12V.

And who's making a supercharger for the 12V? I know that PES Tuning MIGHT be making one...if enough interest is shown.

300+ horses? I find that kinda hard to believe. The PES SC for the 30V 2.8, (an amazingly well made kit that's been in development for the last 3 years), had a peak hp of only 295. Hard to believe that the single cam 12V engine would output more.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Elder Member

Default and if there are "NO mods for this engine".......

why did you do the intake, exhaust, and ported throttle body? Are you saying that they did nothing? Surely you must have some increased power as a result of these mods.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He's doing his own Supercharger.

He is not using a kit. 300+ HP is a very reasonable number.

You can't really compare the PES kit to what Primo is trying to do. First of all, there are a lot of SC configurations available, each with its own set of characteristics. You cannot simply say that 300HP is unreasonable soley based on what the PES kit makes. You would need to know the details of what Primo is trying to do before you could even attempt to make a judgment on its power output.

In addition, I believe that Primo plans on intercooling his SC which can make a pretty big HP difference.

Finally, since Primo is making his own SC, and only has to worry about it working on his own car, he can be much more aggressive than PES.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Elder Member

ok....fair enough
Old 04-08-2002, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peak hp of 295 means that if you driven the supercharger by a 2nd engine...

and directed it's charged air into the 1st engine, the peak horsepower could be as high as 360+hp (1st engine)

Unfortunately, that's the price paid for a supercharger (eaton or roots type) and low end torque. But there are superchargers out there that would have higher output at high rpms but sacrificing low end response. But if high horsies is what count (meaning higher torque at higher rpms), then that is what is designed.

Quick Reply: 12v Chip?