A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1996 A4 B5 2.6 V6 no injector pulse or spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 A4 B5 2.6 V6 no injector pulse or spark

Hi everyone I just brought an audi A4 B5 with the 2.6 V6 engine. The car has been sitting for a couple years got it running and run great then all of a suddern its become hard to start when its cold. I first replaced fuel pump thinking its low on pressure but didn't change a thing. then i changed crank angle sensor still nothing then changed the crank reference sensor and still nothing .I then changed cam sensor and once again still nothing! I have fuel pressure just no injector pulse or spark. i know its got a faulty trans computer and a few other issues but need to get it to run first. i also took the key to a lock smith to test if the chip is ok and they were able to read the code every time so i know thats ok

I have read up many posts with similar issues and looks like most people seem to change everything and issue is still there

I have tested all fuses and relays also they are all working

any other ideas before i toss the car??

oh when the car does decide to run it runs like a dream so making it almost impossible to fault find
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First of all,you method of "throwing parts at the car"isn't good at all.

You're wasting money this way,buy a VAG-COM cable,so you can scan your A4 B5,then you'll have a better idea of what the problem is,so you can replace or repair,based on your scan output results.

I have a VAG-COM i purchased from Ebay for $10.00 China is where they are from,works perfect with the my full version of the vag-com software.

I just diagnosed a rear wheel speed sensor,last Saturday. I got all 4 shocks replaced and all 4 rotors and brakes. My friend and mechanic,did the job.

When i picked up the car,i saw the ABS light lit,not flashing at all,just solid.

So i scanned it and saw it was the right wheel sensor,so we took off the rear right wheel,disconnected the wheel sensor and saw the issue. We saw a thick film of dirt,covering the face of the sensor,he brushed it off with a metal brush and connected it back,i hit it with my vag-com and cleared the code,ABS light stayed off,problem solved.

Having a vag-com is essential,when having a A4 B5,it will save you time and money in the long run,i suggest you get one ASAP.

Far as your issue,I'd its your coolant temperature sensor based on the car not starting,when cold.

The only way to narrow it down is to buy a vag-com,in the mean time,find someone in your area with a vag-com that would scan your car for a small fee,gas money if you will,if they are driving to you.

I had someone off the Audi forums.com contact me and he needed some codes to be scanned and cleared. He was only a town over,so i drove to him,he gave me $20.00 for gas,which was nice of him as i didn't ask for any money. ^_^
Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you for your reply I am sure it would be handy to have but i brought this car to fix and then sell I'm not going to have time to wait to get one and in my experience as a mechanic scan tools are only another guide
I find most makes and models tend to have similar faults that become common and as i have read many posts it apears to be one

so I'm asking if anyone else has had a similar issue can they please let me know what they did to repair the car

also if the coolant temp sensor was faulty i still would be getting an injector pulse and spark it would be flooding the car with excess fuel

this is not the case the injectors are not opening and there is no spark what so ever
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could buy a $10 USB cable on eBay and use the free edition of VAG-COM to diagnose issues.

You don't have money for this, and yet you have money to throw at random parts that don't fix the issues?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

He is putting lots of money into the car,that he is trying to sell. So i guess he'll have to raise the price with each,part replace,until the problem gets fixed.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is the check engine light on or off?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

no its not! I'm almost thinking the ecu isn't getting any power. i found two wires that supply power to the ignition and accessories to be damaged and hard from excessive heat. replaced them but still no luck hmmm ??????