A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1996 Keyless entry FAQ, Setting up keyfob is slightly different.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 10:25 AM
Dale Kirstein

Default 1996 Keyless entry FAQ, Setting up keyfob is slightly different.

I've come up with the procedure for programming the keyless locking system on 96 A4s. You can't change the options like the newer systems, but you still need to program it to respond to the keyfob. This procedure assumes that you have the keyless entry option factory installed, and are just adding a new fob. You can do it at home. You will need 2 keys.

1. Put 1 key in the ignition and turn it on. (Don't start the car, just turn it on until the dash lights up.
2. Roll down drivers side window. (You don't really have to do this, but I'd hate to lock my key in the car)
3. Take the second key and lock the car using the drivers door.
4. Hold BOTH buttons on the remote until the turn signals flash and the door unlocks. It should take about 5 seconds or less. Bingo!

To program the second remote, open the door, turn the ignition off and back on, lock the door and hold both buttons on the second remote until the lights flash and the door unlocks.
Old 08-27-1999, 11:27 AM
nate

Default what about the windows? more

have you programmed the window to roll down with the remote?
in your post, when would that be usefull?
thanks,
nate
96 2.8QM
Old 08-27-1999, 11:57 AM
Dale Kirstein

Default Sorry, no windows

The 1996 keyless system doesn't let you do any of the fancy coding features that the later cars allow. All you can do is unlock all and lock all. The point of the FAQ is to allow you to program your car to respond to a new keyless remote that you bought, or if for some reason the car stops responding you can sometimes "wake it up" with that procedure.

Dale
Old 08-27-1999, 08:44 PM
Antone

Default Re: 1996 Keyless entry FAQ, Setting up keyfob is slightly different.

Just got a 96 2.8QM and saw your post here with the picture of the controller under the seat. Pulled my seat, and voila, it's there. But I have no remote key fob. Was hoping for clarification on something. Does the fact that the controller is there mean that all I need to do is track down a remote and follow the procedure outlined... or will it still require dealer to activate first? Not a burning question... still have to get the remote.

BTW, thanks for the post on the GALA. Worked just as you said.
Old 08-27-1999, 09:15 PM
Dale Kirstein

Default Now I'm confused.

I know that on my car if I disconnect the above mentioned box, all that stops working is the remote entry. The central locking and alarm continue to work. The box also has an antenna connected to it which goes to the passenger side C pillar. It sure seems to be the remote entry receiver. I don't know why it would be on a car without remote entry. Perhaps there are other functions in it also. You could always borrow a keyfob from a friend who has a 96 (2 button) remote and try the procedure. I wish I knew the answer.
Old 08-27-1999, 10:09 PM
Antone

Default Re: Now I'm confused.

I bought it used (pretty sure came off a lease, sold at auto auction) from a dealer who may not have bothered to get the key fob and program before selling to me. Who knows? I do have the original option codes for the car... Is there a decode table out there somewhere for 96 that would help me decode the mess of 3 letter codes to tell me whether the keyless entry was on this car?