A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 A4 auto not shifting correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM
R_O
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 A4 auto not shifting correctly?

I bought an automatic 1999 A4 1.8 Quattro with 165k on it about 6 months ago, but starting 3 months ago the car started erratically shifting doing some weird stuff. About two weeks ago the car will now get stuck in high gear and I will have to pull over and restart the car every 5-10 miles.

I am looking into getting it checked out and repaired but what exactly could be wrong with it? I tried switching out the TCU and it did nothing, and I tried replacing the transmission fluid which did seem to help slightly, which leads me to believe that it may be something to do with the transmission. It also seems to be leaking a small amount of transmission fluid.

Here are the details for the symptoms:

- The car kicks when breaking and coming to a stop and shifting down
- When driving up inclines the car will repeatedly 'jump' when shifting
- When accelerating there will be a 3-5 second delay when the car is shifting up to second gear in which the car revs high
- This is the strange one...when making sharp left turns my gear indicator will completely light up(showing the car in all gears) and the car will get stuck in gear...I think it may be third because it will barely accelerate when stuck. I have to pull over and restart the car to fix this
- Tiptronic will not work

What could this be? To me it seems like a computer problem, but like I said replacing the TCU did nothing. Bad clutch maybe? Or could the whole tranny be fried?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Fluid at the right level? Filter changed when you did the fluid? Right fluid? Any codes in the ECU? Any codes in the TCU?

Need more info.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM
R_O
AudiWorld Newcomer

The fluid level is now about 50%, but this is because of the leak and I have been driving it for about 3 weeks now since the fluid was changed out...the car does drive quite a bit smoother when the fluid is good however the problems still persist.

I did not change the filter.

What do you mean by "right" fluid?

No clue what an ECU is.

TCU code was fine we double checked and triple checked that it was compatible with the model.

Sorry this is my first Audi and I am still learning, not exactly a car wizard either .
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by R_O
The fluid level is now about 50%, but this is because of the leak and I have been driving it for about 3 weeks now since the fluid was changed out...the car does drive quite a bit smoother when the fluid is good however the problems still persist.

What do you mean by "right" fluid? [/QUOTE]

These three things are extremely problematic. The transmission is extremely sensitive to level. Changing the filter is more important than changing the fluid. The right fluid is critical to proper operation.

I'd start again. Buy the right fluid from a reliable source, fix the leaks, change the fluid and filter and see what happens.

Originally Posted by R_O
No clue what an ECU is.

TCU code was fine we double checked and triple checked that it was compatible with the model.
The ECU is the engine control unit. Using VAG-COM (STFA) to read stored trouble codes is a basic trouble shooting step. The TCU also stores codes which should be checked as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM
R_O
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

What do you mean by "right" fluid?
These three things are extremely problematic. The transmission is extremely sensitive to level. Changing the filter is more important than changing the fluid. The right fluid is critical to proper operation.

I'd start again. Buy the right fluid from a reliable source, fix the leaks, change the fluid and filter and see what happens.

The ECU is the engine control unit. Using VAG-COM (STFA) to read stored trouble codes is a basic trouble shooting step. The TCU also stores codes which should be checked as well.[/QUOTE]

I will probably be bringing it in this weekend, I'll make the fluid gets sorted out. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please!!

Please!! Tell me how you fixed this. Same exact problem. I'm about to replace the shift solenoid! Please respond via dm or reply here, please!!!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Same thing applies. Have you checked the fluid level? Fluid level must be checked/topped up with the engine running and at temperature with the car completely level. My guess is the fluid is low.