A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 A4 B5 deck replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 A4 B5 deck replacement

How difficult is it to replace the deck in a 1999 A4 B5 1.8t, I would like to add bluetooth capability.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Depends on how much you want to spend, and how good your knowledge of electrics are.

These Audis are a right royal pain as they have an amp in the head unit which works the front speakers and another in the boot which controls the rears.

If you can get a lead from someone like Autoleads in the UK which will enable the swap to work, (and personally, I have never found one which worked correctly) then you are laughing.

If not then its a lot of fiddling about to find the speaker wires to the doors in the rear, (and any other rears there may be) disconnecting them from the rear amp, and then wiring your speaker wires directly to them.

Quite a lot of faffing about but dooable if you know what you are doing.

PM me if you are in the UK and I can always talk you through it.

FF
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFin
Depends on how much you want to spend, and how good your knowledge of electrics are.

These Audis are a right royal pain as they have an amp in the head unit which works the front speakers and another in the boot which controls the rears.

If you can get a lead from someone like Autoleads in the UK which will enable the swap to work, (and personally, I have never found one which worked correctly) then you are laughing.

If not then its a lot of fiddling about to find the speaker wires to the doors in the rear, (and any other rears there may be) disconnecting them from the rear amp, and then wiring your speaker wires directly to them.

Quite a lot of faffing about but dooable if you know what you are doing.

PM me if you are in the UK and I can always talk you through it.

FF

You can obtain bluetooth add ons which connect to the radio, but these will not work the rear speakers, due to the rear amp problem.