A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 Audi A4 1.8 Transmission Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Audi A4 1.8 Transmission Problems???

My wife's 1999 Audi A4 was working fine the last time she drove it. She went to go to work the next morning and the car would not move. It starts fine, runs great, new battery, and recently inspected at dealership. The car goes through the gears fine, it even feels like it wants to go but it just won't. It almost feels like the engine and the transmission aren't talking to each other. Talked to a few different people familiar with Euro cars and some say blown transmission others say low or bad fluids?? Please help!! It is a automatic transmission FYI.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Joey T

Default List recent repairs.

Like, for example, someone replaced an axle, or a CV boot.

Also, is the display for what gear you are in lit solid?

And what codes does the trans controller have, if so.

And how many miles on the car?

Last trans service?

Does the gearshift indicator work?

Is the parking brake on?

Answer *all* the above and we can help.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: List recent repairs.

Joe...

No idea about axle or CV boot, I would say no before yes. The gear light is solid, and I have checked the parking brake, and its not on. Mileage on car is roughly 150,000 had the tranny flushed and new fluids put in about 3 years ago or at about 100,000 miles. I am sorry but I do not know the code for the trans controller, and the gearshift indicator seems to be working fine.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Joey T

Default When you have a trans issue, the gear indicator light lights up

reverse. IOW, instead of the gear being lit and the background black, it goes the other way. This indicates trans codes.

Does the car sound like it is in gear at all, or does it move at all?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: When you have a trans issue, the gear indicator light lights up

Thanks Joe,

NO indicator lights at all, just checked it out now. Car goes through all gears just fine and even lurches foward a little when in drive. I put the car in neutral to try to move it with no success. I had my wife put the car in drive and give it some gas. It really feels like the car wants to move, but it can't. I am now thinking it may be a brake issue of some sort. Ebrake is off and I checked it. What do you think?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Joey T

Default So.... when the car is running in N you cannot push it?

Shut the car off, in N, and try to move it. If you cannot, jack up the rear of the car and see if you can move the wheels. If you can, jack up the front and repeat.

When you put the car in D and try to move it, does it rev like it is in N or does it load the engine?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Joey T, I have a very similar issue to the one ER 77cps describes. Where were you going with jacking the back first then the front? I had mine up on four jacks and all wheels move but when i put i back down it only goes on D and it will move. It will not reverse, and on N i cannot even push it. I first I thougt it was an E-brake or something like that. I have two Transmission range sensor and have tried both to no avail. I did cause a code whe swaping the two Tramission range sensors whereby all the PRND12 were lighted up with a red bar but i cleared that code with Vag Com and the shifter switches and the letters light up normally.

Prior to this issue, care was shifting rought due to leaks so I installed a new transmission pump and a few clutches that seemed like they were deteriorating and put it back on. Car will not start with the key so I get it to start by jumping the wire that goes to the starter. It starts and engine runs nicely but it will not move on R or N.

I have been resarching for a while and you seem like the person that understands the issue the most. I am desperate,; your help or and ideas are very welcome.

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 93 Posts

Year, model, and engine of car? Quattro or FWD? Always helps to have this info first.

Edit

Having read your name I’m assuming you have a 1999. When you stick it in to reverse, when you hit the gas, is it revving as if in neutral? Was reverse working before you removed the tranny?

Did you fill the tranny correctly with the car running, on level ground, until the fluid spilled out, got it up to temp , shifted through all the gears and filled it again, then repeat?

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 02-23-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 99A4red
Joey T, I have a very similar issue to the one ER 77cps describes. ... you seem like the person that understands the issue the most.
Bear in mind that Joey T posted this 13 years ago, so he might not be following the B5 forum anymore. So its a good thing that Cybersombosis is.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 99 A4 Quattro 1.8 Autimatic

Thank you foe your reply. Car is a 99 A4 Quattro 1.8 automatic. Prior to taking the transmission out and changing the pump, reverse was working fine.

When stick is in R car revs up but will not move. When it is in N it revs up but it will not move even if pushed by two people with all their strength.

I filled according to instructions and checked several times at the required temperature and until oil was coming out of the fill plug. Repeated a few times.

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Year, model, and engine of car? Quattro or FWD? Always helps to have this info first.

Edit

Having read your name I’m assuming you have a 1999. When you stick it in to reverse, when you hit the gas, is it revving as if in neutral? Was reverse working before you removed the tranny?

Did you fill the tranny correctly with the car running, on level ground, until the fluid spilled out, got it up to temp , shifted through all the gears and filled it again, then repeat?

Quick Reply: 1999 Audi A4 1.8 Transmission Problems???