A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 Audi A4 1.8 Transmission Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 93 Posts

You say that your replaced clutch packs. To what extent did you dig into the transmission? Did you remove the entire rotating mass or did you only change the clutch packs on the drum attached to the pump? If you took the rotating mass out and took everything apart, how careful were you putting it back together? Was anything binding when you put it back together? Did you try rotating the torque converter before putting the tranny back in?

If you took apart your entire tranny, it will be very hard for any of us to diagnose what exactly went wrong on reassembly. There are so many moving parts. Did you replace all the tube seals that go from the pump to valve body? When I took the valve body off, the tubes were indented so if you reused them, you may not have a good seal as they mate up to the valve body a specific way based on the indent.

The first time I took apart my tranny, it was a long time before taking it apart and putting it back together so it wasn’t fresh in my mind. I put a needle bearing in backwards and it pulverized it, shredding the cage and spilling the rollers all in the tranny. So many moving parts.

A little more detail on exactly what you did would really help.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did rotate the torque converter and it turned freely. I did not take everything out, only what was needed to remove the pump budy (axle, rubber tubes, valve body and most of the gears that you can pull easily. I only repalced the clotches on the 3rd gear planetarium.

I know exactly what you mean with that needle bearing because i also intalled that one upside down and luckily for me I heard something break when i was tightenignt the pump body and had to go back in and replaced it.

I did not change those black rubber pieces (sealing sleeves from bores A,b,c,d,e,f,g) that somehow connect witht he pump but they were in excellent shape and came out and went back easily. I know there are too many pieces in there but at this point i am assuming everything went back in the right manner.

I was hoping someone had experience with diagnosing the problem becase i see many posts witht the issue but never an answer as to what was causing it. I sure sounds like a problem somwhere in the ignition switch, a brake switch of somoe sor, or the Gear positioning sensor. The strange part is why will the wheels move when the car is up in the air but then you put it on the ground and it will not budge. I am sure it has something to do with Quattro but i am not sure.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a hard time pushing it by myself in neutral. I would try driving it slowly and stick it in neutral. I bet it will coast. Also when you have it in the air, the wheels will turn but in opposite directions.

For the sleeves, were there any indentations on them? It sounds like the reverse clutch is not getting hydraulic pressure and just free wheeling. I had the same issue but in first. You could also try disconnecting the TCM and make it go into limp mode where it will drive in second and reverse to see if it’s a TCM issue.