A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro Problems on accelaration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro Problems on accelaration.

Ok so I got my 99 Audi A4 6 weeks ago. It had an awful noise and knocking after 4 weeks and I changed the oil, the noises stopped. Went on a trip and the weekend after my trip I changed the oil again, so only a few days went between oil changes. After I changed the oil the second time it started having a problem. If I accelerate the the slowly normally the turbo does not kick on. So the car starts fine and accelerates slowly fine, but the moment I give it power the turbo seems to choke, and the front vibrates. If I drive it very slowly everything is fine sounds fine.

Facts:
1.I know I put the correct amount and type of oil.
2. I bought the car with only a bad airbag sensor module to my knowledge, when I bought it the service records and car-fax checked out fine.
3. when I gently press the gas it runs very smooth even at high speeds, (approximation of maybe no more than 3 degrees pressing down on the pedal, anymore than that and the problem starts) but when I give it power to where the turbo starts to kick in, it makes a shuttering noise and vibrates, the turbo kicks in eventually but you can hear the turbo, the shuttering noise and vibration.
4. engine check light is on
Any help as to what it could be will be awesome thnxs guys.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Miguel G. Leonardo
Ok so I got my 99 Audi A4 6 weeks ago. It had an awful noise and knocking after 4 weeks and I changed the oil, the noises stopped. Went on a trip and the weekend after my trip I changed the oil again, so only a few days went between oil changes. After I changed the oil the second time it started having a problem. If I accelerate the the slowly normally the turbo does not kick on. So the car starts fine and accelerates slowly fine, but the moment I give it power the turbo seems to choke, and the front vibrates. If I drive it very slowly everything is fine sounds fine.

Facts:
1.I know I put the correct amount and type of oil.
2. I bought the car with only a bad airbag sensor module to my knowledge, when I bought it the service records and car-fax checked out fine.
3. when I gently press the gas it runs very smooth even at high speeds, (approximation of maybe no more than 3 degrees pressing down on the pedal, anymore than that and the problem starts) but when I give it power to where the turbo starts to kick in, it makes a shuttering noise and vibrates, the turbo kicks in eventually but you can hear the turbo, the shuttering noise and vibration.
4. engine check light is on
Any help as to what it could be will be awesome thnxs guys.
correction "if i accelerate the car slowly" instead of "the the"
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Miles on the car: 99950 mi
Repairs that have never been done:
*Timing chain, tensioner and bearings
* Wheel bearings
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like a boost leak. Pull and post the codes.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As above, boost leak or something mechanically wrong with the turbo. You say you can "hear the turbo". What do you hear? The whine as it spools? On a stock car this is pretty quiet and you have to be paying attention or driving next to a wall to hear it.

Also, you say the timing chain has never been done. This car has a timing belt, not a timing chain (unless you mean the cam chain inside the head, which is good to do but not strictly necessary unless it gets really bad).

If the belt: DO THE TIMING BELT NOW. They are good for 60,000, you are way overdue. When they break they will thrash your engine and you are looking at a full rebuild. I know. I had to do it last summer.

Although it was kind of fun actually so if you want to spend two months and a few grand fixing things in your garage....

Last edited by dhamilton; 01-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.