A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 Drivers Floor Wet

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Drivers Floor Wet

I've been having some issues tracking down a leak. I am at a loss. I have cleaned the rain tray (there was some clogging of the drain ports), cleaned the sunroof drains and yet still my drivers floor gets wet during heavy rainfall. The door seals look like they are in great shape, no tears.

Is there anything I am missing here? Is there somewhere else on the rain tray area I am missing... where rain could come off the windshield and somehow leak into an area?

I've had this car for 5 years, and it's only just started being a problem this year. I thought I had fixed it, but couldn't really test my theory until now, the fall, and it's clearly not fixed.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Interior water

Originally Posted by northernaviator
I've been having some issues tracking down a leak. I am at a loss. I have cleaned the rain tray (there was some clogging of the drain ports), cleaned the sunroof drains and yet still my drivers floor gets wet during heavy rainfall. The door seals look like they are in great shape, no tears.

Is there anything I am missing here? Is there somewhere else on the rain tray area I am missing... where rain could come off the windshield and somehow leak into an area?

I've had this car for 5 years, and it's only just started being a problem this year. I thought I had fixed it, but couldn't really test my theory until now, the fall, and it's clearly not fixed.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Thanks.
I had a very similar leak in the drivers footwell. The source of the leak was the hood release cable grommet, just outside of the ECU enclosure. I cleaned the area around it thoroughly and applied RTV sealant. That stopped the leak.

While I was in there, and noticing the amount of debris that was built up around the ECU enclosure, I removed the enclosure and installed a new gasket under it. This may also have helped to prevent water entry, but the hood release cable grommet was definitely a culprit. Cracked and pulled away from the metal.

Removing the ECU enclosure was more of an endeavor than I’d imagined but glad I had done that, as the original gasket was not looking good.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips! I will take a look at those places this weekend.

I was considering to look under the ECU last time I was under the rain tray but my wipers were pretty seized on the splines so I stopped there. Though that getting the rain tray drain unblocked was the ticket, but I guess there is still more to figure out. The rain tray was completely full, up to nearly the top of the battery when I dug into it that day.

I have some good marine 5200 I can seal up the grommet, if it is in fact leaking there.

The water isn't a TON on the floor, it's only damn to mildly wet. So a leak through a small hole would seem the most plausible.