A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1st Service - inadequate list of what was done. Any others had this exp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Service - inadequate list of what was done. Any others had this exp?

I just picked up my 2000 A4 1.8T qt for the 1st service -- was not too impressed with the level of detail on the service 'invoice' I received for standard first service.

Overall, I was treated politely, but the invoice listed no DETAIL, only:
*Changed oil
*5000 mile service

But what about:
Rotate tires?
What grade of oil (my old garage used to list it on my invoice and that was for a beat up Toyota Carolla!)?

They also didn't wash the exterior, which is didn't mind, since my car was cleaned 5 days before.

I DID get a followup call from AoA's reps, and they seemed very disappointed in the dealer when I told them I had no idea exactly what had been done to my car. They were also surprised that it hadn't been washed.

Anyone else had these experiences? What should I do?
--bill
Old 07-25-2000, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A quality assurance person called me a few days after my 1st service and my main complaint

was that the service mgr. did not specifially state what I was going to be done before he started the work. I got the same brief summary of you got. I've heard you should mark your tires discreetly so that you can verify it yourself later. I know the details are in the owner's maintenance manual, but it works wonders in customer relationship management. Are you listening AoA? Probably not.

AW'ers please excuse my rant.<p>'00 1.8TQMS Stock ;-)
Old 07-25-2000, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1st Service - inadequate list of what was done. Any others had this exp?

Oops! Anyway, I can relate. I took it in for a problem with the gas tank and they didn't bother to top of the fluids. A week after I took it in for the 15,000 mile service, the brake warning light came on. It turns out they forgot to top off the brake fluid. To make a bad story worse, they forgot to turn off the serice indicator the first time I took it in and then again when I went to get the brake fluid topped off.

I was pissed and told them I would not give them a good rating. They asked what they could do to make me happy. Not really being able to think of anything, I said an Audi hat. They gave me one (and I love it) but I should have asked for more!!!
Old 07-25-2000, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm taking my A4 in for first service tomorrow, and I thought I was...

being too compulsive because I put together a list of items to do and to check with attached TSB for oil level and break noise/squeal problem. Now I know that my sickness is justified, errr sort of...;}
Old 07-26-2000, 03:50 AM

Default Re: 1st Service - inadequate list of what was done. Any others had this exp?

I always walk in the service bay area and strike up a conversation with the mechanic. When I was in for my first service he showed me where to keep an eye out for leaking valve covers and water pumps. When he was finished he told me that I seemed pretty particular about my car and I would be better off not letting the lot kid wash it. I thanked him for his time and suggestions and I will specifically ask for him on my 10,000 mi service.
Old 07-26-2000, 02:28 PM

Default Too bad we have to remind DEALERS to do their maintenance as specified

They really should know this stuff. Why do we even go back?

Why ask for a hat to make up for poor service? In my book, that doesn't even begin to remedy not doing precisely what's laid out in the maintenance book.

Gobridge, did you end up giving them a good rating after all, even though you were dissatisified with service (in exchange for the hat)?